[bookport] Re: I have ordered my Book Port and have a question.

  • From: Sandy Licht <slicht@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 11:36:49 -0500

I concur. Get a card reader. I paid $25.00 for mine, and you can find less expensive ones readily. If you think your card is corrupt, don't put it in the Bookport.

At 11:25 AM 10/6/2006, Brian Buhrow wrote:

        Hello.  My suggestion is that ou buy a CF card reader for your
computer.  If you can afford a Bookport, then you can afford a CF reader,
which are between $20 and $50 US and are readily available at Best Buy,
on-line, Circuit City, Staples, Office Max, you get the idea.
While you can use the Bookport as a CF reader, it's slow, drains batteries,
and, except when you're using the transfer utility, it's best to avoid
using the Bookport as a CF reader, if at all possible.  This is my
opinion, of course, but having a CF reader on hand will make it easier for
you to diagnose problems with your CF cards, should they occur, both for
your Pacmate and for your Bookport.

        To answer your question more directly, the answer is, maybe.
Specifically, if the flash card is bad, the Bookport will probably behave
similarly to your Pac Mate, i.e. it won't recognize it.  On the other hand,
it might format just fine, and be happy.  You'll have to try it out, and
see.  In any case, with a CF reader, you'll be able to test the card more
thoroughly using Windows, and that will give you a definitive answer about
the state of your flash card.  Who knows, Windows might be able to fix it,
so that your Pac Mate will recognize it again.

-Brian

On Oct 6, 10:34am, "Jamie Pauls" wrote:
} Subject: [bookport] I have ordered my Book Port and have a question.
} First, let me clear up something that might come up later. I am the guy who
} advocated waiting for the new Book Port to come out next year before I
} bought one. Several of you launched a vigorous campaign to dissuade me from
} waiting. Well, you one the argument. Actually, my wife did since I promised
} her my iPod as soon as I purchased a Book Port. Anyway, I placed my order
} for a Book Port today. They are back ordered until the end of this month.
} Now for the actual reason for my writing to this list. I have a compact
} flash card which my Pac Mate doesn't seem to recognize at this time. If I
} plug this flash card into my new book port and the card really is corrupted,
} will the Book Port reformat the card for me, or will the unit hopelessly
} lock up? I do not have a card reader on my computer and was wondering how
} the BP would handle this possibly tricky situation.
}
} Jamie Pauls, MT-BC
} E-mail and MSN: jamiepauls@xxxxxxxxx
} Skype: jamie.pauls
} Web site: www.accesswatch.info
} Blog: http://accesswatch.livejournal.com
} Podcast: http://feeds.feedburner.com/accesswatch
}
}
}
>-- End of excerpt from "Jamie Pauls"

-- No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.1.407 / Virus Database: 268.13.0/464 - Release Date: 10/5/2006