[bookport] Re: How much Space will they take up

  • From: "Crabb, Nolan" <Nolan.Crabb@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 08:00:00 -0500

Don suggested a feature in which he could learn in advance of a file
transfer how much space that file or set of files would require.

I wholeheartedly agree, especially for those of us who use compression.
I don't want to do that in my head and not be accurate.  If the transfer
software, based on my compression settings, could somehow tell me how
much space a given file would take up on my card before I did the
download, that would be a truly miraculous thing and a feature I would
use extensively.

Obviously, for people who are using no compression or who are not
changing the MP3 file in any way, this would be less crucial, but even
then, because of the indexing and such, the space taken up by the file
transferred to the card would differ from the actual size of the file.

So while I'm not a big fan of jumping onto the "me-too"  bandwagon on
the list, I would think Don's idea is an excellent one.

Nolan Crabb
Rehabilitation Services for the Blind
615 Howerton Ct., P.O. Box 2320
Jefferson City, MO 65102-2320
(573) 751-4788
(800) 592-6004 (toll-free)

e-mail: nolan.crabb@xxxxxxxxxx

CONFIDENTIALITY STATEMENT:  This electronic communication is from the
Department of Social Services (DSS) and is confidential, privileged, and
intended only for the use of the recipient named above.  If you are not the
intended recipient or agent responsible for delivering the information to the
intended recipient, unauthorized disclosure, copying, distribution or use of
the contents of this transmission is strictly prohibited.  If you have received
this transmission in error, please notify the sender and delete all copies from
your system.