[bookport] Hopes for New bookport

  • From: "Peter Torpey" <ptorpey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 09:16:05 -0400

Tempting as it is to purchase a Victor Stream, my current Bookport works
well (although the keys seem to be getting less responsive and are probably
wearing out).

I'm hoping that, by the time my keys do wear out there will be a new version
of the bookport available.  Here are some of the capabilities I would like
to see in a new Bookport and which I consider to be limitations of the
Victor Stream:

1.      Text Input - I like this ability of the current Bookport to be able
to take quick text notes.  What a unique and useful concept that AFB has
come up with here for a portable device!
2.      The Ability to read DRM protected files - Currently there aren't any
pocket-sized devices out there for the blind which can read such files and
have the capabilities of the Bookport or Victor Stream.  Books in this
format are now offered by many public libraries as well as RFB&D.  I really
hope we can have access to this growing collection of material.
3.      The Victor Stream does not have a built-in clock.  I like this
feature and would like to see it in a future Bookport if possible.

Features which the Victor Stream has and I certainly hope will be in a new
Bookport (if that ever happens) include:

1.      Ability to vary playback speed as you are reading.
2.      A decent little speaker (like cell phone) for quick playback and
listening without headphones.
3.      A decent microphone and recording capability for audio notes (and
possibly music?).
4.      I also like the reading voice on the Victor Stream and think it
would be preferable to Eloquence.

Well, hopefully this long-awaited project is moving along in the background.
Product development is a tricky and sometimes uncertain business.  APH has
certainly done a tremendous job with the Bookport and I hope they get a
chance to continue their efforts to offer the blind community with more and
better choices.

-- Pete

4.