[bookport] Re: Has anyone heard of this device?

  • From: "Jeanette Beal" <bealjk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 16:09:42 -0400

That's a little ageist if you ask me.  Granted, many post-1980s people have
been taught to rely on technology than the old slate n stylus, that's not to
say non-techie skills haven't been taught as well.  Not to mention the
complete disregard for reality in a statement such that puts invincibility
and security with technology in the same sentence.  We all know technology
is going to and does fail on a regular basis, and we all make adjustments.
Voluntary braille courses are being sought out against the wishes of IEPs
and the like.  I just acquired a slate and stylus for the first time two
years ago and I love it.  But there are ways to be more efficient.

Not that I'm trying to appear uppity in any way.  I understand and value
where technology has come from and is going and I understand and value the
tride and true methods of madness we all hold near and dear.  But that's not
to denegrate another's way of accomodating life to life.

I love my talking alarm clock, but my braille watch is more reliable.  Love
my laptop, but I know how to print on the sly too.

It's all in which method your madness feels safest with, eh?
- Jeanette

ps. - the irony in all of this is that most blind techno stuff isn't
available.  It's not on the open market and inaccessible based on a variety
of factors including socio-economics and geography.  It would be great if we
could have this discussion in a day and age when *everyone* really was
trying to choose between a laptop and a pacmate, but the reality is most
blind folk don't have equal access to a computer unless they live in a
heavily-advocated-for state.

On 8/25/06, Richard Ring <ring.richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Well, I am someone who graduated high school around then, and yes, they're lucky. However, they are also going to be dependent on technology that can and will fail, and when it does they will not have a clue what to do. Because, they don't know what a slate is, and they don't believe their technology can fail.

-----Original Message----- From: bookport-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:bookport-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Joni Colver Sent: Friday, August 25, 2006 2:57 PM To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [bookport] Re: Has anyone heard of this device?

As someone who graduated high school in 1974 with nothing more technologically advanced than a manual typewriter and sometimes taped textbooks, I sure due envy the plethora of techie devices current students have access to. I would give anything to be debating whether I needed a

laptop or a Pacmate.  Slate and stylus anyone?  Tried to resist posting
this
but just had to say how lucky you students are nowadays and I am happy
for
you.

Joni