[bookport] Re: Has anyone heard of this device?

  • From: Sandy Licht <slicht@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 14:32:46 -0500

It would be cheaper to buy a laptop!

At 02:28 PM 8/25/2006, you wrote:
I couldn't help but laugh a lot through this thread. I'm just starting grad school and I'm dying learning my pacmate (I haven't needed one really up until now) and it's insanity times twelve, combined with the new bookport for increased theory book usage. Gah! However, I think that the big point here was the price - look how cheap TADI is compaired to the pacmate or voicenote. Poor kid, tell her to appeal if she can. I know arguing with caseworkers is the last thing a grad student wants to do with everything else in mind but I think it's worth it.
Just a TADI would be good for personal use, if it's small (but it doesn't seem small enough to want to use instead of a pacmate anyway).
Oy!
- Jeanette

On 8/25/06, Richard Ring <<mailto:ring.richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>ring.richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I can categorically say that no one in the state of Iowa would get one
of these devices in place of a full fledged note taker. It's not just
that rehab people want to protect the budget although this is a good
deal of the problem, it's that they no squat about technology, and they
don't make their business to learn!

-----Original Message----- From: <mailto:bookport-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>bookport-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto: bookport-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Sandy Licht Sent: Friday, August 25, 2006 1:21 PM To: <mailto:bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [bookport] Re: Has anyone heard of this device?

It seems to me, a lot of rehab councillors simply want to appear to be helpful. Their main job is to protect the budget. I had one who was different, but those are rare, unfortunately.

At 01:15 PM 8/25/2006, you wrote:
>Yes, and if I were your friend, I would definitely put up a fight on
that
>one.  The TATI is nothing like a Braille Note or Pacmate.  It is
somewhat
>similar to a VoiceMate, but it has a small qwerty keyboard.  You can
use it
>to jot down notes, phone numbers and addresses, but certainly not at
all
>suitable for graduate work.  The TATI is like a toy compared to a real
note
>taker.  In addition, the TATI will totally loose all of its data if the
>batteries go dead.  Personally, I think the Rehab person that
recommended
>the TATI as a serious tool for anyone going to school should be shot.
The
>TATI sells for about $250 or so and more than likely the small price
tag is
>the only reason it is being forced on someone by the Rehab councilor.
You
>can find more info on the TATI on the Maxi Aids web site.
>
>Your friend definitely needs to go over the Rehab councilors head to
some
>one that knows what they are doing.  There must be someone he or she
can
>appeal to.
>
>It just makes my blood boil when I see this kind of incompetence in a
Rehab