[bookport] From User's Manual

  • From: "David Bennett" <david382@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 22:59:03 -0500

This is my final comment about Book Courier, because BC isn't really what this list is all about. Here's a statement found in BC's own User's manual, and I include this merely for clarification and definitely not for the sake of argumentativeness. As you read this, just consider how similar the claims are to those of Book Port. And, incidentally, it does live up to these claims.

Following this quote I'm also including a similar statement about Book Port from its manual.

If BC can fit into a niche not filled by BP, I wouldn't be so concerned about its future. But owning both devices, as I do, and having read both user's manuals, as I have, they just don't appear to be sufficiently different from one another to warrant the ultimate survival of both. Again, the quotes I'm including here are merely for the sake of clarification. It's my last word on the subject, though anyone wishing to continue the thread is absolutely welcome to email me privately. I hope, by the way, that you're all getting as much good information from this list as I am. Due to your comments I was able to start transferring books into my unit within five minutes of receiving it, which would never have otherwise been possible. At least that's mostly true. The rest of the story is an undeniable similarity between my new BP and my pre-existing BC. At any rate, please bear with this one additional message of clarification and understand that I'm including it so that no uncertainty may exist in anyone's mind regarding the intended use of both products.

Introducing BookCourier

Designed for the visually-impaired and those with disabilities that make reading difficult, BookCourier is a portable, convenient, and economical tool for
listening to electronic text, spoken word audio files, and music. BookCourier frees you from cumbersome equipment such as cassette players and tapes, or
bulky Braille transcriptions for your reading needs. Just download files from your PC or the Internet using the supplied transfer software and you're on
your way.

BookCourier includes an MP3 player; a voice recorder; fast forward and fast reverse controls; bookmarks, jumps, and other smart navigation controls; a built-in
alarm, sleep timer, clock, and calendar; plus easy-to-use controls for adjusting volume, reading speed, and more. And if you have a question about a feature,
BookCourier's built-in Talking Help and Talking User Guide are immediately at your service.

Now, here's the introductory comment in BP's User's Manual. Note the similarities, and note also the all-inclusive nature of these statements. Again, everything I find here lives up to the claims here presented.

Overview

Book Port is a portable device designed to read electronic books and play audio files. It reads books of nearly any type. Blind students and professionals
find that its combination of synthetic speech and digital audio capabilities make Book Port the perfect tool for nearly any reading need. Measuring only
2.75 by 4.75 by 1 inches, its small size, large storage capacity, and battery operation and low power consumption make it the perfect hand-held device
to take reading with you wherever you go.

Book Port features its own high quality text-to-speech synthesizer (for reading electronic text and Web pages,) and it plays digital audio files such as
MP3,
audible.com,
and Digital Talking Books.
DAISY logo