[bookport] Re: Firmware update problem

  • From: "PAMELA RADER" <PRADER@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 08:49:17 -0500

Try using a different card for the update, or reformat the new card
(which you should do anyway), and then try the Update Firmware from the
Advanced tab of the Options menu and see what happens.

Pamela Rader, TECHNICAL SUPPORT
American Printing House For The Blind
1839 Frankfort Ave.
Louisville, KY  40206

PHONE:  1-800-223-1839, Ext. 307

>>> hartness@xxxxxxxx 02/14/06 05:39PM >>>
Hi list,

I recently lost the 1GB Sandisk flash card in my Bookport.  It simply
died
one day while reading and it won't reformat.

Now that the BP supports 4GB cards and they're less than $150, I
decided to
order one.  The new 4GB card arrived today.

I've followed the list recently and saw where Rick James had some
issues
upon installing his own 4GB card and getting all the transfer and
firmware
updates installed so I carefully studied over all of that.  .  I'm
still
having some problems though.

I have updated the transfer software and BP firmware to the following:
Transfer software: version 2.1.0.103.
Firmware version 2.1.0.0
I know from reading the list the firmware should be 2.1.0.25.

Upon connecting the Bookport to the computer, the transfer tool
reports:

A Book Port firmware update is required to read files sent to the Book
Port
with this version of Book Port Transfer.
Pleas connect to the Internet and select OK to update your firmware.

That makes sense.  Reading the list I know that the firmware should be

2.1.0.25 instead of the older 2.1.0.0 that I have installed.

When I select "okay" to check for new firmware updates, it reports:

No update is available at this time.

It appears that the auto update feature is for some reason not updating
the
firmware to the latest and greatest.

I then followed Pam Rader's recent advice to Rick James to go to
www.aph.org/beta, download and install the latest beta.  I did that but
it
still did not update the firmware.  When I reconnected to the computer,
got the same old version message from the transfer tool.  I again
selected
okay for it to go fetch the latest firmware update but it didn't.

I then tried going into the advanced tab under option of the transfer
tool
and selecting software and firmware updates manually.  It reported no
new
updates available for both.

I've still got firmware 2.1.0.0 and persistent messages I need to
update the
firmware.

I have tried reformatting the new 4GB flash card in the Bookport and
repeating all the steps I have described above but I continue to have
the
same results as described above.

When I disconnect the Bookport from the computer, the Bookport reports

Version 2.1 Ready and then a short while later it says "error accessing

index file".

I conclude by all of this that I have some kind of unusual
circumstances
that is confounding the firmware update tool.  It would seem that I
need
instructions on how to manually install the firmware 2.1.0.25.

By the way, I do see from the transfer tool 3.8GB available.  At least
it's
recognizing and formatting the 4GB card okay.

Sorry for the lengthy description.  I'm a very happy Bookport user and
am
grateful to the hard work that all of the APH staff continually pour
into
this wonderful tool.  Great users on the list as well.  I welcome your

feedback and suggestions.

Thanks to all...

Very gratefully,

Rich Hartness