[bookport] FW: bookport Digest V5 #67

  • From: "Peter Torpey" <ptorpey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 08:48:57 -0400

This message has been processed by Symantec's AntiVirus Technology.

Unknown00000000.data was not scanned for viruses because too many nested levels
of files were found.

For more information on antivirus tips and technology, visit
http://ses.symantec.com/
What is the scoop with all of the anti-virus messages coming through this
list?  Does anyone know what is going on?

-- Pete

bookport Digest Tue, 08 Apr 2008        Volume: 05  Issue: 067

In This Issue:
                [bookport] Re: interesting problem
                [bookport] Re: Hi, I'm new here...
                [bookport] Re: interesting problem
                [bookport] Re: Introduction
                [bookport] Re: Introduction
                [bookport] Re: interesting problem
                [bookport] Re: Introduction
                [bookport] Re: Introduction
                [bookport] Re: Introduction
                [bookport] Re: Introduction
                [bookport] Alarm sure woke me up this morning...
                [bookport] Re: Alarm sure woke me up this morning...
                [bookport] Re: Alarm sure woke me up this morning...
                [bookport] Re: Alarm sure woke me up this morning...
                [bookport] Re: Alarm sure woke me up this morning...
                [bookport] Re: Alarm sure woke me up this morning...
                [bookport] Re: Alarm sure woke me up this morning...
                [bookport] Re: Alarm sure woke me up this morning...
                [bookport] Re: Alarm sure woke me up this morning...
                [bookport] Re: Alarm sure woke me up this morning...
                [bookport] Re: Alarm sure woke me up this morning...
                [bookport] book port and book share daisy files
                [bookport] Re: book port and book share daisy files
                [bookport] Re: Alarm sure woke me up this morning...
                [bookport] Re: book port and book share daisy files
                [bookport] Re: Alarm sure woke me up this morning...
                [bookport] Re: book port and book share daisy files
                [bookport] How to...

Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 08:30:00 -0400
From: "PAMELA RADER" <PRADER@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] Re: interesting problem

Perhaps you'll need to reformat that card.

Pamela Rader, TECHNICAL SUPPORT
American Printing House For The Blind
1839 Frankfort Ave.
Louisville, KY  40206

PHONE:  1-800-223-1839, Ext. 307

>>> blsmass@xxxxxxxx 04/07/08 10:00PM >>>
I had an interesting problem.  I knocked my BP off on the floor and
picked it up later, only to find that it didn't work.  I tried it on both
computers.  At the same time I had a card that said MP3 position error.
I had to erase a couple of files.  Turns out that when I changed the card
it worked fine.  When I put the original card back in I got an
initialization error.  Thought I would let everybody know in case they
had the same problem.  Kurt

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 08:56:06 -0400
From: "PAMELA RADER" <PRADER@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] Re: Hi, I'm new here...

Hi:

Make sure you have the latest firmware. You should have 2.30.  If you've
bought your Book Port within the last year, you probably have that, but if
it's older, then maybe not.  There were some really old versions of the
firmware that had battery drain problems.  If you don't have that Firmware,
then connect to the PC and if automatic updates is turned on, it'll notify
you.  If not, then go to Options menu, Advanced and select Update Firmware.

Pamela Rader, TECHNICAL SUPPORT
American Printing House For The Blind
1839 Frankfort Ave.
Louisville, KY  40206

PHONE:  1-800-223-1839, Ext. 307

>>> musicproandy@xxxxxxxxx 04/07/08 05:43PM >>>
Hi.  Some people might know me from the icon list.  Well, now I'm
here too.  I enjoy my bookport a lot.  It's truely portable and
for reading books, forget it.  You've got such a small thing...
It does music as we all know but in my opinion it drains too much
batteries.  Though I'm getting too used to doubletalk lol.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 08:59:07 -0500
From: Sandy Licht <slicht@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Probably means the files on your card are corrupted.  Try a
reformat.  If that doesn't work, you may have a bad card.  The
Bookport, along with other pieces of electronic equipment, doesn't
like to be dropped.  I have accidentally done it once or twice.  I
have a tiny crack in my case.  But you can add "don't drop the BP" to
the list that includes, "Don't touch the stove while it is on."  (Smile.)
At 07:00 PM 4/7/2008 -0700, you wrote:
>I had an interesting problem.  I knocked my BP off on the floor and
>picked it up later, only to find that it didn't work.  I tried it on both
>computers.  At the same time I had a card that said MP3 position error.
>I had to erase a couple of files.  Turns out that when I changed the card
>it worked fine.  When I put the original card back in I got an
>initialization error.  Thought I would let everybody know in case they
>had the same problem.  Kurt

Sandy Licht
Jeremiah 29:11 - 14.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to
prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen
to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your
heart. I will be found by you," declares the LORD, "and will bring
you back from captivity.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 09:19:40 -0500
From: Sandy Licht <slicht@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] Re: Introduction

I think we often get caught up in the "us versus them"
mentality.  Since I own both the Victor Reader Stream and the
Bookport, I can honestly say they compliment each other.  The
Bookport doesn't read Digital Talkingbooks, but when it comes to txt
and BRF files, I like Paul.  The BP reads them very well.  The Stream
plays Digital Talkingbooks very well, but the synthesized voices will
take getting used to if I choose to listen to them.  Since I have the
Bookport, I have a choice.  The BP is a notetaker, and it has a
clock.  But its recording quality is lousy.  The Stream is simply a
player.  It doesn't have a clock.  But the recording quality is
good.  The Victor Reader Stream uses a rechargeable battery, but
while it is charging, I can listen to the Bookport.  Now... if you
also own the Icon or the Braille Plus... then you have even more
choices.  I say, good for you!  At the moment, I have books coming
out of my ears, so to speak.  I have so many choices as to what to
read, I am like a termite running around in a yo-yo, and I'm loving
it!  Just 10 short years ago, this technology wasn't available to
us!  I am grateful!

From: "Rich Ring" <ring2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 12:43:28 -0500

I have both devices.  The Stream does read NLS books, the Bookport does not.
However, I am one of the rare individuals who loves Doubletalk speech, so
when it comes to text files, I still prefer the Bookport.  Mine is five
years old, I dropped it once, spilled a small amount of coffee on it once,
and although the keys stick a bit it is still going strong.  One of the best
investments in entertainment I ever made.

    I guarantee you that after a short time you will become a pro, it is
very easy to use.
Louie

My name is Marilee and I am just beginning to use a Bookport. I have
actually had it for about 3 years, but was so busy with on line classes that

I did not have time to explore all of the capabilities of the Bookport. I
have downloaded a few books, and am going to try to learn how to download
some music as well as books from Bookshare. I am not exactly a techno whiz,
so I may have some questions along the way. I am hoping to learn about all
of the neat things that my Bookport can dofrom those of you who have used it

for years. Smile.

Marilee

  _____

Checked by AVG.
8:56 AM

http://www.eset.com

------------------------------

From: "Walt Smith" <ka3lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 13:58:41 -0400

Quite possible. CF cards include a built-in controller and I wouldn't be at
all surprised to learn that these are sensitive to falls or severe bumps.

Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 13:06:40 -0500
From: Sandy Licht <slicht@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Agree 100 percent.  I deliberately put some text files on the Stream,
just so I could get used to the voice.  Funny...  I didn't have to do
that with the Bookport.  When I bought the Bookport, true enough, I
didn't have the choices I do now, but I could have chosen to read my
texts on the PC using eloquence.

I have had my BP for over 3 years.  The keys do stick a bit, and the
mic jack has a bit of static if I'm not careful with it, but it still
works well.

Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 17:08:43 -0400
From: Andy <musicproandy@xxxxxxxxx>

I happen to adore doubletalk as well, seeing as I used a braille
n speak for 3 years.

07/04/2008

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 17:08:47 -0400
From: Andy <musicproandy@xxxxxxxxx>

From demos like Neal Eures's demo, the speech on the vrstream
seems crappy.  But since this is a bp list I'll find something to
say about the bp.  Oh yeah.  What on earth happened to bp 2?

------------------------------

From: chase crispin <chase.crispin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 16:05:14 -0500

I have to agree with everything!  I also love the BP, and Double Talk!
Chase

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 17:21:35 -0400
From: Andy <musicproandy@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] Alarm sure woke me up this morning...

Ok so I have the alarm feature set to get me up at 5 so I can get
ready for school and bla.  So, the thing rings.  It beeps ok but
it's one constant long beeping and as instructed in the manual.
I pressed 2 and it kept going.  I had to take out my batteries
and swap them for new ones to get it to shut up.  Has anyone else
had this problem? Only thing i can say is, gee, I was awake...

------------------------------

From: chase crispin <chase.crispin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 16:28:27 -0500
Subject: [bookport] Re: Alarm sure woke me up this morning...

Hi
I don't have BP wake me up for school for this reason.  Can they somehow put
in the Braille
Plus beeps instead?  Just a thought.

Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 17:36:42 -0400
From: Andy <musicproandy@xxxxxxxxx>

Ah, if my stupid unit, which btw is still under repairs, comes
back soon, I'll use that instead Chase, although I just tested
the alarm again and it made 3 beeps followed by about 5 seconds
silent, followed by 3 more and it did that until I pressed 2.  A
good feature would be to set, for example, "Beep for x amount of
seconds" because I am probably the lightest sleeper known to man,
the smallest of things usually gets me up and going--just a
suggesttion, but since updates are no longer being made to it,
screw it.  Although that'd be cool for the brailleplus...

Yep.  So I put the old batteries in that gave me the trouble:

battery level: 5%

Tell you something? Apparently it does it as long as the battery
level falls below 10%.

From: chase crispin <chase.crispin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 16:42:59 -0500

I to am the worlds litest sleeper, wind wakes me up, and am afraid of been
scared
terribley by the Book Port.

From: "Rich Ring" <ring2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 16:44:36 -0500

There is no longer any
Development being done on the Bookport as far as I know.

Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 17:48:42 -0400
From: Andy <musicproandy@xxxxxxxxx>

That is really sad...

------------------------------

From: "Robert Clark" <rclark0276@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 14:56:10 -0700

Andy,
    Was your BP locked?

*---*  *---*  *---*  *---*  *---*
To err is human; to really foul things up requires a computer.
Robert & Dreamer Doll  ke7nwn
Newport, Oregon
N24C 8/2000 Hookup
rclark0276@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://webpages.charter.net/dog_guide/

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 17:57:08 -0400
From: Andy <musicproandy@xxxxxxxxx>

Nah.  Thing wasn't locked.

From: "Chase Crispin" <chase.crispin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 17:06:10 -0500

No, there isn't.  However, there is a beta of BP transfer that is about to
come out, according to Larry.

Chase Crispin
Administrator and moderator of the Blind Mobile Tech (BMT) blog, and soon to
be website!
Blog:
http://blindmobiletech.blogspot.com/
 APH training video feed:
http://www.youtube.com/BraillePlus/
Note:  Most RSS readers and Podcatchers don't support this type of feed.
You can try, however, you just might have to open the page in Internet
Explorer and see what happens.
 e-mail:
chase.crispin@xxxxxxxxx

Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 18:53:58 -0400
From: Andy <musicproandy@xxxxxxxxx>

Bose quiet comfort 3 noise canceling headphones were plugged in.
Never dropped it or carried it on a plane.

Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 20:22:00 -0400
From: "John Melia" <unclejam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] book port and book share daisy files

I know I should know this but usually I down load the Braille file from book
share well I down loaded a daisy file when I unpacked the book there were
several files what one should I send to the book port to bring the others
along?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 20:04:45 -0500
From: Sandy Licht <slicht@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] Re: book port and book share daisy files

The OPH file is all you need.

Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 20:06:41 -0500
From: Sandy Licht <slicht@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Why would you ask this on the BP list?

Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 21:08:13 -0400
From: Andy <musicproandy@xxxxxxxxx>

The opf file.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 20:07:34 -0500
From: Sandy Licht <slicht@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Remember.  There will be no more updates to the Bookport.

Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 21:09:06 -0400
From: "John Melia" <unclejam@xxxxxxxxxxx>

thank you for that hope this does not clog the list to much

------------------------------

From: "Amber Wallenstein" <amber.wallens@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] How to...
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 21:11:06 -0400

Can someone tell me how to unsubscribe?
thanks.
Amber
Book blog:
consented to my own ruin, to your ruin, and to the ruin of our children. I
give
John Adams
E-Mail: amber.wallens@xxxxxxxxx

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 21:15:47 -0400
From: Andy <musicproandy@xxxxxxxxx>

I know but if there was more updates that'd be neat

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 20:21:35 -0500
From: Sandy Licht <slicht@xxxxxxxxxxx>

From: "Robert Clark" <rclark0276@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 18:23:12 -0700

    The next update will be when BP 2 comes out.  Until then...  Dream on.
LOL

*---*  *---*  *---*  *---*  *---*
When a clock is hungry it goes back four seconds.

Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 20:24:03 -0500
From: Sandy Licht <slicht@xxxxxxxxxxx>

It is a legitimate question.  This list is to help users solve any
problems they are having with their Bookports or to answer any
questions they may have.

Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 21:30:22 -0400
From: Andy <musicproandy@xxxxxxxxx>

I agree with Sandy here.