[bookport] Re: Enhancements to Bookport Device

  • From: "Marlaina Lieberg" <marlaina@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 08:58:07 -0800

Hi James.  I think free flow of ideas is great.  I guess my philosophy is
that let's not ask a coffee maker to squeeze the juice and bake the bread
when it's been designed to brew the best cup of coffee you'll ever have.

I think the Braille functionality on BookPort is great, and it does make
searching so much easier.  I'm not sure why there is a memo feature, since
it's a reading device and it already does allow for bookmarks.  If it were
billed as a mini personal notetaker, well that would be a different matter.
I think it should mirror as closely as possible other reading devices like
Otis, just to keep the development tight, the cost down, and the number of
things to decline as small as possible.  As I said, were i designing it, I'd
have left out memo but added an alarm.  We probably often all fall to sleep
with it running, thus the sleep timer, so it's logical to me that it should
serve as my clock to awaken me in the morning.  I'd also have shaped the
alpha buttons differently.  Neither of these are show stoppers, but it's my
thought they'd add more than a memo recorder adds.  But the key words here
are my thought, and my thought may not be the same as your thought.  But,
each is equally valid.

I'm sorry if I've come off as shooting down any of your or anyone else's
ideas here!  Happily, the APH staff have a fabulous sense for what this
little device should do, and they stick to that sense while still reading
our input.

Happiest of Holidays to you!

Marlaina