[bookport] Re: Enhancements to Bookport Device

  • From: "Gary Wunder" <gwunder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 08:50:58 -0600

Hi Walt and the rest of the folks commenting here.  If new
features make the unit less responsive or significantly more
expensive, then designers should think long and hard about their
usefulness, but sometimes a feature I initially think of as
frivolous turns out to be something I can't remember how I did
without.  When the Kesi product first came out, it was advertised
with a dictionary.  I was then using Openbook and thought how
silly it was that a reading product would divert resources away
from its main objective which, I thought at the time, was the
accurate recognition of text.  Now it seems a dictionary is a
perfect fit to have in a reading machine - hear a word you don't
know - look it up.  The program which is primarily a reading
machine is now so much more - want to go to an online source for
material - use the K1000 .  Want to photocopy a receipt before
you send it off for reimbursement - use the same product.  Want
to fax a print document to a friend after verifying what it is -
use the reading machine.

I don't want the devices I buy to be so complex I can't use them,
but there is a limit to how many individual devices I can buy for
each thing I need and a limit to how many I can carry once I have
them.

We have to live within the limitations of our hardware and the
time of our dedicated and talented software engineers, but we can
plan and dream as long as we don't forget about the limitations
of both.

Warmest regards,

Gary