[bookport] Don't try this at home

  • From: "Walt Smith" <walt@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 14:36:18 -0400

I scared myself very seriously the other day and wanted to warn others not
to do the same thing. Thinking I'd save a few seconds, I decided to run a
disk defrag on my CompactFlash card while it was in the Book Port and the BP
was connected to my PC via the USB cable. When it completed, the BP was
stone dead and I really panicked, thinking that I might somehow have managed
to wipe the program out of memory. I pulled the card and replaced it, but no
joy. Finally, I pulled the batteries and replaced them and it came back to
life. This was a stupid thing to do in the first place, but Larry's recent
message indicating that there's a way to load the image from a CF card
reminded me that I'd been meaning to mention this as something that it's
advisable to not do, although it does appear that there's a way to even get
yourself out of that particular hole.

 --
 Walt Smith - Clearwater, FL
 walt@xxxxxxxxxx