[bookport] Re: Differences in navigating text files between Bookport and Stream

  • From: "Angie Matney" <angie@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 01:46:07 -0400

This is an excellent post. I love my Stream because I can play NLS books, and I
use it for audible books, too, because of the on-board variable speed control.
(Also, audio files it sound much better at faster speeds on the Stream than on
the BP.)
But I still use my BP for studying, because it's more intuitive to me. Along
the lines of what David says below, it's also quicker to set bookmarks with the
BP. On the BP, you press two keys simultaneously. On the stream, you have to
press three
keys in succession. I like the BP way of utilizing simultaneous key presses.

Angie

--Original Message Text---
From: David Allen
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 10:04:54 +1300

Hi all!

I noticed someone raised this several days ago, but no one seems to have
responded unless I've missed it, so thought I'd take a stab at it since I have
and use both bookport and stream.

As has been said, both can read text files. Each has advantages and
disadvantages. If, for example, you find the bookport's voice not to your
liking, then you may like the Vocaliser synthesiser in the
stream better. When it comes to navigation, the stream seems unweildy in
comparison with bookport. That is my opinion, which probably isn't worth any
more than you paid for it. I will back this up
though, with a bit of explanation. When navigating text on the bookport, you
only need to press the keys you need, and you instantly achieve the degree of
navigation you desire. For example, navigate
a while by word until you don't understand a pronunciation. Then instantly
switch to navigating by character by using different keys. Now consider this
against how you navigate on the Stream. First,
you must identify with up and down arrows that you want to navigate by word.
You can then use the left and right arrows to do that. When you run across a
word you don't understand and want to
switch navigation to character, you must go back to the up and down arrows to
select character.

There are other comparisons that can be made. The Stream has no find feature.
Both units have a sleep timer, and the sleep timer is adjustable in either. In
the bookport, the sleep timer activates
automatically, but you have to activate the sleep timer on the stream
deliberately, as well ad adjust the setting each time it is used.

The recent decision by some publishing houses to drop DRM is beneficial for
both Bookport and Stream users. This makes it simpler to transfer MP3 files to
either device, but it does not release you
from your obligations in the contract with the subscription service.

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers,
Dave