[bookport] Re: Daisy books and page navigation

  • From: buhrow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Brian Buhrow)
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 08:50:03 -0700

        Hello Rusty.  I was noticing the same thing this weekend, and think I
figured out what is going on.  For reference, I was using daisy books from
Bookshare.org, and since I think the problem is with presentation, I think
that's important.  What I've found is that, A: the way Bookshare books are
marked up with the daisy language is inconsistent, leading me to speculate
that this has to do with the fact that books are contributed by volunteers,
and that each volunteer has a slightly different way of scanning and
marking the text.  B:  For those books which do have clearly defined page
numbers, the Daisy markup only marks page boundaries for the Bookport on
even numbered pages, meaning the markings only tell you when you've flipped
the leaf of a book, not when you switched reading from the left to the
right side.  It took me a little while to figure this out, but if you
bounce up and down on the 7 or 9 keys on the Bookport for a while, I'll bet
you'll find it's counting in pairs of pages, not singly as you would
expect.
        In any case, this isn't the fault of the bookport, but either the lack
of clarity in the Daisy format, the loss of information as it goes from
Daisy to RTF to indexed ASCII, or a combination of the three.

        By the way, in case it wasn't clear, when you go to a specific "page
number" using the goto page number feature in the Bookport, you're really
going to the text marked by the Bookport transfer utility as being page X.
What basis that has on reality with respect to the actual book itself
depends on the accuracy of the mark up, the granularity of the indexing,
and the particular edition of the book you're reading.  Think of it like
you did in the old days when you had the print page numbers versus the
braille page numbers in books.
-Brian
On Sep 19,  8:11am, "Rusty Perez" wrote:
} Subject: [bookport] Daisy books and page navigation
} Hi folks, particularly APH developers,
} I'm much enjoying bp's ability to play daisy files. I'm noticing a problem,
} however.
}
} Sometimes there seems to be a problem with the way bp deals with page
} numbers in daisy books. I'm using a couple of very large files about 250 mb
} each. When I navigate by using 7 and 9 for page up and down, things work
} well. The reader reads the page number to me. But sometimes when I go in to
} the settings keypad, and go to page, the page is not correct. At times, the
} page number in the settings keypad does not change even if I punch in a page
} number. The reading will start in the right place, but gong to the settings
} keypad will give me a different page number.
}
} This may have been with a dying set of batteries, but I'm not sure.
}
} Rusty
}
}