[bookport] Re: Consider supporting UEB

  • From: Bruce Toews <DogRiver@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 22:02:55 -0600 (CST)

I would strongly suggest that before anyone formulate an opinion one way or the other on the UEBC, that they look at it closely, particularly as regards mathematics. One-on-one representation witha braille display will also be tricky, since UEBC does not provide for it and so very many symbols would look completely different from their multi-cell, or in the case of the decimal point, even their single-cell counterparts.

Bruce

--
Bruce Toews
Skype ID: o.canada

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007, Tim Noonan wrote:

While I don't profess to be at all an expert on the subject, One of the
strengths of the UEB is to ensure that reverse
translation of braille from Grade 2ASCII is more accurate and reliable.

Since we get quite a few complaints about the confusion of some back
translation on devices like the BookPort, it seems that
Software support of UEB would, indeed, be a positive move.

Tim

Tim Noonan
Tim Noonan Consulting Pty Ltd: Excellence in Accessibility and Usability
+61 419 779 669
tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Skype:TimNoonan
www.timnoonan.com.au