[bookport] Re: CompactFlash Memory Cards

  • From: "John McCann" <lists@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 20:20:05 -0500

Hello Sandy and fellow listers:

Hmmm, I wonder then why that manual text was written. If it was written to
head off someone's purchasing a card which would then not fit into the book
port (thereby necessitating its return), well, we now know that there is at
least one type II compact flash memory card with a 3.3MM thickness which was
no doubt not true at the time that manual text was written. We also know
that the use of a type II memory card is not contra-indicated by any
difference in the pin configuration between type I and type II cards. From
all that I have been able to gleen so far, then, it appears that the only
downside to the use of type II cards in the book port is the added
unnecessary expense incurred owing to read / write speeds which are only
germane or important for digital photography applications.

I am very very hesitant to do anything which a user manual tells you not to
do, but sometimes technological changes get way out ahead of manual
provisions, and the one contra-indication Larry spoke to very directly was
the difference in size, which, if such had been true with respect to my
card, would have resolved this whole issue right off the bat; i.e., you
don't even get to agonize about potential damage to your unit or its
firmware if you can't put the card in in the first place. As I said, the
card goes in without any problem or any resistance whatsoever beyond that
exhibited by the memory card which came with the unit.

I hope I'm not perceived as beating this to death, but if there is any
potential for screwing up my firmware, I'd sure like to know about it.
Perhaps I'll not risk mixing photographs and audible books, <smile>!

John