[bookport] Choice of Audible file formats?

  • From: Peter Rand <peter.rand@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 11:48:06 +0200

Larry/Rob,

I know that Book Port can only handle Audible files in Type 4 format at
the moment.
Unfortunately, Type 4 files have the lowest level of compression, which
results in huge files
& very time-consuming downloads.

Here are the various sizes of a single Audible file in the 4 different
formats at Audible.com:

Type 1=  7 MB
Type 2= 11 MB
Type 3= 22 MB
Type 4= 43 MB

It takes me about 35 minutes to download a 7 MB file in Type 1 format.
The same file, in Type 4 format, would take me well over 2 1/2 hours to
download. Of
course, I would vastly prefer smaller files and faster downloads.

Is there any chance that Book Port will allow users to play other,
more-highly
compressed Audible formats in the future? That would allow for far
faster downloads,
and also conserve the precious storage space available on the Book Port.

Peter