[bookport] Re: Capturing Streaming Audio to the Bookport

  • From: "David Allen" <wd8ldy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 10:41:13 +1200

Hi Pete and list:

I've used both Goldwave and Total Recorder to do this. Either can produce the MP3 files. Then you just copy them to the BP in the usual way.

Cheers,
Dave
----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter Torpey" <ptorpey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 12:26:30 -0400
From: Megan Kelly <mek55@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] Re: a few questions before I buy

Hi,
Yes, you can. Just navigate to the Notes folder, find the file, and press
the 2 key as is usually done.

Megan

At 01:11 PM 7/12/2006, you wrote:
That may be true, but can you then read them immediately; that is, without
editing them? I've never used the Notes function and don't really have any
plans to, but since the file wouldn't be indexed, I wonder if it can be
read.

From: "thomas williams" <twilliams16@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] Typing a note
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 19:21:56 -0400

How do you type a note into the BP?

------------------------------

From: "David Allen" <wd8ldy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] Re: Typing a note
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 12:02:00 +1200

Hello:

You turn the book port 90 degrees from the normal operating position. Then
use the row of six keys further from yom in the manner of a brailler. The
middle row from left to right are: escape, left arrow, up arrow, down arrow,

right arrow, enter. The row closest to you from left to right are: dot 7
(add to letters to make upper case), backspace, space, space, delete and dot

8.

You can find a full description of this and all the note taker commands in
the book port manual in the Book port as a note taker section, and you can
find a full table of characters in Appendix C of the book port manual. Hope
this helps.

Cheers,
Dave
----- Original Message ----- From: "thomas williams" <twilliams16@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Cary" <cary5871@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 18:02:25 -0600

first press pound, C and F together. then turn the book port so the flash
card is facing you. then the first six keys on the very top row are the
braille keyboard so just type the note like you'd type it in braille. Then
when you want to exit the note, just hit the key on the very left hand side
of the second row of six keys when the bp is facing in the note taking
position.
Hope this helps.
----- Original Message ----- From: "thomas williams" <twilliams16@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Michael Bowman-Jones" <mikebowmanjones@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] Using Audible.com and BookShare
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 17:45:15 -0700

Greetings, All.
Every once in a while, messages come on to the list wherein the writer seems
to be determining if he/she should go with BookPort or BookCourier. I don't
know how significant a factor this is, but in checking out the Audible.com
and BookShare sites, they both specifically reference BookCourier as a
workable (for lack of a better term) device without referencing BookPort at
all. If I was looking again, I think I would give that factor quite a bit
of weight.

I have not tried using either source yet so I don't know: Does BookCourier
being mentioned mean (as I would infer rightly or wrongly) that it works
much more easily and with better compatibility with Audible and BookShare or
is it not that big a deal?

Thanks in advance for your responses.  As a new BookPort user, I have to
admit this is giving me some concern.

Michael

------------------------------

From: "Scott Huddleson" <hudd61@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] Re: Using Audible.com and BookShare
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 20:49:17 -0400

Michael,
   I use both Bookshare and Audible and have never had any problems with
either.

       Scott

----- Original Message ----- From: Michael Bowman-Jones

From: "Walt Smith" <walt@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 20:56:39 -0400

The fact that BookCourier is mentioned and Book Port is not means only one
thing: Springer Design (who builds the hardware for both devices) has done a

better job of pitching their product to the two organizations than has APH.
As has been stated here before, there is _no_ function whatever in which the

BookCourier is superior to the Book Port and there are many functions that
are either exclusive to the BP or in which the BP is superior. At the very
worst, the two devices may be equal, but there's no way that the BookCourier

is "better" or "easier to use" with respect to Audible or Bookshare books
than is the BP.

Maybe the folks at APH should write to both Audible and Bookshare and
request that wherever and whenever the BookCourier is mentioned on their
sites, exclusive mention of that device should be changed to equal mention
of both devices. In fact, it wouldn't hurt at all of those of us who belong
to one or both of the two organizations were to initiate a polite
letter-writing campaign of our own along these lines.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Bowman-Jones" <mikebowmanjones@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

From: "Lou Kolb" <loukolb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 20:56:43 -0400

Michael,
As far as I can tell, there's no difference in usability in both audible and
bookshare. The vast majority of my reading for the past several years has
been .brf files from Bookshare and they work great. I'm not an audible user
but I know from the list that all you have to do is set your prefference to
no device and you're in business. It's been discussed here before but it
seems to most folks on this list that Bookport is the superior device and is
better supported. Of course, we're a bit biased. Lou

From: "Michelle Raymond" <mraymon2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 20:57:59 -0400

Actually, the Book Port works really well with Audible.com. I'm sure it
works with Book Share as well. I'm guessing the machine that one buys
depends on which one  some one likes better.

------------------------------

From: "Dixie and Cobalt" <lighthousebs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 21:05:13 -0400

Michael,
I have no problem with my book port and bookshare. While researching which
product I would purchase I called the manufacturer of book courier whom also
happens to be the manufacturer of book port. In speaking with the
representative we discussed the differences and advantages to each. As a
blind user the representative suggested the book port over the book courier
for its several extra options. He stated the book courier was a scaled back
version basically . The use of the courier is more for people who are
dyslexic and people of similar print challenges.

I hope this
helps to clarify the differences and easies your mind about your purchase.

I have had my bookport about a month now and absolutely love it.

Guided by His light,
 Dixie

From: "Beverly" <shilohsmom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 23:46:00 -0400

I get my books from Audible and I think the sound is great. I love the
BookPort.

Beverly
If you like R&B or Gospel music, check out my station at
http://www.shilohsplace.net

MSN hunt5052@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Skype BlackPearl1953

From: "Kasondra Payne" <Kassyp36@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 21:51:34 -0600

I always use bookshare, and I have had no problems.  The bookport is
terrific!  I am going to put some more on it.

Kasondra Payne

End of bookport Digest V3 #207