[bookport] CF card format problems

  • From: "reb503@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <reb503@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 11:40:32 -0400

To:bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
CC:
BCC:
Subject:CF card format problems

Hi Larry, Rob and list,

During the last few days I have been discussing this problem by phone with
Fred at APH tech support who has been relaying between Larry and me. This
is a rather upsetting, although ultimately not a serious problem. I will
recap for the benefit of the list and to let Larry and Rob know what has
occured since then.

There are 2 BPs involved in this with their respective 2GB CF. I'll call
them BPs 1 and 2. In order to clear the card in BP2 of files, I formatted
it in the BP. I then added a lot of files from an audio CD. Because I
didn't like the way they were arranged on the BP I decided to format again.
I usually just delete but because of the large number and the intention to
remove them all, I reasoned that formatting would be easier, while I was
connected to the computer. There was a firmware update, which I did. I then
disconnected and did the format.

I then reconnected and discoverd that the BP software would not start, and
when started manually indicated that the BP was not connected.  I opened
the drive for the card in BP on My Computer, clicked Properties and it
indicated that the 2GB CF was a 1GB with no files and that it had no free
space.  I inserted the card from BP1 into BP2 and it worked properly.  The
card from BP2 would not work in BP1.

Thinking that the card was corrupted,I obtained a replacement from the
manufacturer(Kingstan)and formatted. Incidentally 2GB cards come
preformatted as FAT32 and after reformatting in the BP, the Properties
incated they were still FAT32. Same problem.

I bought a card reader and formatted again. This solved the problem. The
Properties indicated 2GB with no free space, and after showed all free
space.  Both cards worked in BP2. I took one of the cards and formatted in
BP1 and it returned to the unusable state. The cardreader restored it.

I can reach no other conclusion but that Firmware 2.2, which now allows
cards up to 4GB is formatting 2GB cards improperly as FAT32 when they
should be FAT16.  I formatted in the card reader as FAT16.  I also
formatted a 16MB and a 128MB and these were handled properly.  This will
probably only occur with cards around 2GB.

I would appreciate comments on when it is appropriate to format and when it
is not.

Thanks everyone,
Richard

http://mail2web.com/ .