[bookport] Re: Bookport not working.

  • From: "Rick Harmon" <rickharmon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 18:08:14 -0500

Hi,

I had it happen once too.  I asked a friend of mine who is very technical
minded.  He told me its not a good idea to unplug a USB drive without telling
the device to stop first.  When you plug a BP in or any other removable drive
into the computer a icon is put into the system tray that says safely remove
hardware.  While its not likely for anything to happen if you simply remove a
drive without stopping it first, but it is possible for you to loose the entire
contents of the drive if you do not stop it first.

To stop a drive including the BP, click on the safely remove icon in the system
tray and then tell it to stop your drive.  Once you do windows will tell you
its safe to remove the hardware.  If you do this before unplugging the BP you
will never have a problem.

I know there will be many on here to write back that they have never had the
problem and I am glad you haven't.  But there is always the possibility of it
happening if the rules for removing external drives are not followed.

Rick

=======
people towards them."
- Helen Keller, 1925