[bookport] Re: Book port Speech

  • From: "Hope Hein" <hmhein@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 14:51:05 -0400

Good point!

Smile.
Hope

-----Original Message-----
.From: "Walt Smith"<walt@xxxxxxxxxx>
.Sent: 9/14/06 11:59:15 AM
.To: "bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"<bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
.Subject: [bookport] Re: Book port Speech
.
.The present synth (which, after a relatively brief period of adjustment, I
.find perfectly adequate) has two very distinct advantages:
.
.* It is small, allowing for installation in a device with relatively limited
.software and hardware space.
.
.* I strongly suspect that it's also inexpensive, helping keep the cost down.
.
.Almost any of the newer software-only synthesizers will violate both of
.these requirements. The AT&T synthesizer is out because of the huge amount
.of space it takes up. Eloquence doesn't use quite as much, but I suspect
.that the licensing costs would be prohibitive. I very seriously doubt that
.there are a fraction as many Book Ports out there as copies of JAWS.
.
.Arguing over synthesizers is nothing but a religious discussion. No
.synthesizer is superior or inferior--it's only superior or inferior to the
.person listening to it. By spending some time with the voice, rate, pitch,
.and frequency settings, I've been able to find a voice that is perfectly
.acceptable to me. Over the years, I've also learned that a lot of
.dissatisfaction with a given synthesizer is based on the fact that the user
.has never varied the settings that are defaulted to and this is a serious
.mistake. I don't know how many people I've heard on the various JAWS-related
.lists cry and whine about how incredibly bad Eloquence is only to have them
.admit that they've _never_ made any attempt at all to change the pitch or
.rate that are set by JAWS by default.
.