[bookport] Re: Book Port

  • From: "PAMELA RADER" <PRADER@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 08:26:11 -0500

Actually, the Braille + has a total of 9 additonal keys (the 6 keys for writing
braille, plus the 3 keys (Control, Shift and space).  The Icon only has the
telephone keypad.

Pamela Rader, TECHNICAL SUPPORT
American Printing House For The Blind
1839 Frankfort Ave.
Louisville, KY  40206

PHONE:  1-800-223-1839, Ext. 307

>>> yerbabruja@xxxxxxxx 12/16/07 12:19AM >>>
Hello Richard:

The difference between the icon and braille plus keyboards, is that the
braille plus comes with two extra keys, located at the right and left of the
spacebar.  The left key is the shift key, and the right key is the control
key.  So when you write uncontracted braille on it, you have your own shift
key, and don't have to write uncapped letters, or invoke some inconvenient
key combination to cap the letters.  The braille plus is about the size of a
walkman, so yes it is smaller than the braille and speak.

One of the things you might find convenient about the braille plus, is that
if you're no longer used to typing on a braille keyboard, (as I am,) you can
connect a u.s.b. keyboard via the interface cable that the unit brings, or
use a foldable bluetooth thinkout keyboard for more transport convenience,
as the unit is blue tooth enabled.

The other thing that's convenient, is that when you use contracted braille
on the braille plus, the unit has a program that automatically translates
what you write to regular print when you send out emails with it.  So you
don't have to stop and conduct a translation operation before sending out
those messages.

It is true that the unit is more expensive than a laptop, but it also
provides conveniences that the laptop doesn't.  For one thing it's more
convenient to run around the city with it, as it's a lot smaller and lighter
than the laptop.  Also using the wireless feature is a lot easier than using
the ones on the laptops.  At least that's my experience.  You also get
greater battery use than you do with most laptops.  If memory serves, most
laptop batteries give you about three hours worth of non-a.c. power, whereas
the braille plus gives you 10 hours if the wireless network is turned off,
and 8 hours if it is turned on.  The storage capacity is greater than that
of a lot of laptops, (though I don't know if that has changed with the
windows vista laptops.)  This unit has a forty gig hard drive and four gigs
of ram.  Like the laptop it has an mp3 media player and a tape recording
utility.  And it's already set up to get news rss feeds and some podcasts.

I wish it had a modem or could accept a wireless internet card for those
times when you're not around a wireless hotspot, but the eventual release of
the docking station should take care of the lack of a modem, as it'll come
with an ethernet card, and if you have a wireless router on your pc, you can
set up the unit to be recognized, and use its wireless internet feature that
way.  And although I am not able to use this device for wireless internet
where I'm at in Puerto Rico, as I'm neither near any wireless hotspots, nor
do I have a wireless router, it's still a pretty convenient note taking and
book reading device.  I did use its wireless internet feature when I was in
Boston last month, and absolutely loved being able to get email without
having to be tethered to a pc or lugging around a laptop.

And speaking of its book reading capacity, accessing electronic braille on
this unit is a lot more convenient.  As you can transfer them from a thumb
drive, or by connecting the unit to your computer via a u.s.b. cable as if
it were another disk drive. Once the books have been stored in the unit, you
can immediately start reading.  You don't have to use a transfer protocol to
read your books.

Now, that doesn't mean I have no use for the bookport, as I still like the
convenience of not having to worry about the bookport's battery for about a
week or more, and the bookport is still slightly smaller than the braille
plus.  I use them both.

Marta
P.S.  And sorry for the ot.