[bookport] Beta 14

  • From: "LARRY SKUTCHAN" <lskutchan@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 12:45:34 -0500

OK, beta 14 of the firmware is now available for download and
installation.

As I mentioned last time, we are taking extra precautions with the
firmware update process.  We intend to do a chkdsk for you before
letting the firmware get transferred to your unit, but that
functionality is not available yet, so please manually do a chkdsk on
your card before attempting the update.  If you do not know how to do
this, please drop a line to the list, and someone here will advise you.

Last time, we asked that you not attempt to perform the update while
using rechargeable batteries.  We have increased the level of power
required to successfully perform an update, so you should get notified
if your battery level is too low to do a safe update.  Remember,
however, that you do not yet have this new firmware installed, so you
should still insure at least 70% of full battery capacity before
attempting the update.  When beta 15 comes out, and you have beta 14
installed, we will ask you to try it with low level battery conditions.

We also recognize that Windows 2000 has issues with the amount of time
it takes for the Windows cache to properly complete the file transfer
process, so we have built in a time delay into the latest beta of the
transfer software.  Please update the software before attempting to
update the firmware.

Finally, please remember that we cannot provide telephone support on
the beta software or firmware, so in the unlikely event that you turn
your Book Port into an expensive door stop, we will work with you over
the list to get your unit back up and running or provide instructions on
sending it in for repair.  Please do not call customer support about
beta issues; they simply do not have the staff to provide our world
class technical support for products still in beta.

Now that we have all that out of the way, here is what you need to do:

If you are not a beta tester, and you wish to try this beta, go to
www.aph.org/beta and agree to the terms of the agreement.  You may then
click on the Book Port link then the Download link to get the latest
beta software.  Once you have that, the software will notify you about
new beta software and firmware.

If you are already a beta tester, and you have the Check for Updates at
Startup button checked, the software will notify you the next time you
connect your unit.

If you do not have the Check for Updates at Startup button checked,
connect your unit, then when the transfer software starts, press Alt+O
to open the Options dialog, then press Ctrl+Tab twice to get to the
advanced tab.  Next press Tab until you get to the Check for Software
update and press Space on it.  There are no new details for this
version, so just press the Yes button to download and install the
software.  After you install the software, follow the same procedure,
except this time press space on the Check for Firmware Update button.
You may read the details about what is new with this version once you
get the "Update is Available" dialog.  Press the Yes button when you are
ready, and the software will download and install the firmware.

Once you disconnect the unit from your USB connector, the device will
update its firmware.  We recommend that you have the earphone attached
so you can listen to the update messages and report any strange
behavior.