[bookport] Re: Batteries and speakers--a compromise???

  • From: "Walt Smith" <WSmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 08:13:48 -0400

If; and I emphasize the if; a recharging circuit were to be included in
the BP, then I also think that some kind of sensing intelligence would
be mandatory to keep people from attempting to recharge the wrong type
of batteries because they either forgot or didn't know in the first
place what kind of batteries were in the unit. For those of us who are
techie enough to keep this kind of thing in mind, this isn't an issue,
but I strongly suspect that we're in the minority of BP users and it
would take only one instance of an attempted recharge of a set of
alkalines or lithium ion batteries to create a huge legal headache for a
lot of people, including APH. Frankly, I just don't think that a
built-in recharging capability is worth all the additional baggage that
would be required before the potential safety and liability hazards
could be resolved. As others have said, keep the device as it is and let
those who want to use rechargeable batteries of whatever type use them
and bear the responsibility for obtaining and using the proper type of
charger. With at least four different types of rechargeables currently
available (NiCad, NiMH, 1-hour quick charge and 15-minute quick charge)
and all the possiblities of mismatches, it's just too complicated and
potentially dangerous an issue, in my opinion, for APH to involve itself
with.=20