[bookport] Re: Batteries

  • From: Bruce Toews <DogRiver@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 10:59:17 -0600 (CST)

First of all, I appreciate the notion of replaceable batteries. But second, and I'm not picking a fight here, just wondering, how much extra circuitry would that require, really? I submit to you a cellphone a fifth the size of the Book Port that includes, among other things, circuitry capable of recharging the battery in two hours. Again, I am not out to argue with anyone here, I just wish someone who really knows about this stuff could clear up the "lot of extra circuitry" question once and for all.

Bruce

--
Bruce Toews

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005, Walt Smith wrote:

That would require a lot of additional circuitry for the recharging. A nice
compromise; one that's been suggested several times; would be to have the
Book Port draw power via the USB cable when it's connected to the computer
and it wouldn't surprise me if this one were to be incorporated into the
next generation of the hardware, but I'm only speculating. I doubt, though,
that the ability to charge the batteries from an AC source would ever be
incorporated, since changing the batteries is so quick and simple and the
cost and bulk of additional hardware circuitry might outweigh the value of
such a feature.