[bookport] Re: BP not working

  • From: buhrow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Brian Buhrow)
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 12:49:03 -0800

        I think the Bookport is a wonderful device, and if you buy one, you'll
find a lot of joy in the worlds it can bring to your fingertips.  I
wouldn't give mine up very easily, and I've even begun evangelizing it to
my friends and colleagues.  Having said that, this is an imperfect world we
live in, and the Bookport does have its warts.  I can, if I choose, crash
my bookport on command, and I'm not running beta firmware.  There are bugs
which exist in the code I'm running, which have not been fixed in the
latest beta versions.  These bugs, in my view, represent fairly basic
errors in the code, and, I hope, APH and Springer are working behind the
seens to fix them, as I do think they will become more problematic as more
devices are sold and as filesystems get larger.
        I would, however, not let these annoyances stop you from experiencing
the freedom to carry many thousands of books in your hip pocket, navigate
to a specific word or sentence of anyone of them in a few keystrokes, and
read all of them at the same time, and keep separate bookmarks for each.
The Bookport's ability to allow you to navigate through text files, or MP3
files, means you'll be able to efficiently navigate to specific text
whether it's a text file or an audio file.  the possibilities of what you
can do with the bookport are endless, and there isn't a device on the
market today, for the blind or sighted community, which has the feature set
of the Bookport which doesn't also have a few software bugs.  So, buy a
Bookport and join the other hundreds of Bookport users who realized again
just how much they enjoyed reading when it was made so convenient.
The plusses far outweigh the minuses.  It is, in my view, the best book
reading device for the blind on the market today.  It is not the best PDA,
or voice recorder, or note taker, or alarm clock, but it doesn't bill
itself to be any of those things either.  The fact that it does any of
them, right now at least, is a novelty, and if you remember that it is,
first and foremost, a reading device, I think you'll find its one of the
best purchases you ever make.

-Brian