[bookport] Re: Audible vs. NLS

  • From: "Christy Porter" <cporter001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 12:27:18 -0500

> Behalf Of lana
> Sent: Saturday, September 29, 2007 11:11 AM
> To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [bookport] Re: Audible vs. NLS
>
> So, why don't they make that key available on for devices, like
>Voice Sense.

Well, that I can't tell ya, exactly. I don't know anything more about the
Voice Sense and how it works than the descriptions of it on the web.  But we
know that the sticking point for the bookport involved the transfer program
and the rule NLS has about not having the books accessible to any program on
your main computer.  The voice sense is a PDA, is it not?  PDA's are now the
equivalent of computers themselves. Most can handle far more material and
more file types than my original IBM clone with its 8KB of memory [grin].
So the fact that the Voice Sense has the same computer-based access to
files, wireless access, etc.  may be the problem.  It's a small computer in
and of itself, not just a gadget for listening to audio files and a text
reader.

We also know that each device can only be adapted so far -- there's a
limited amount of space on the things for handling new applications that
will access additional file formats.  So to start answering your question,
you'd need to find out how the Voice Sense transfers programs and what other
issues are involved with that piece of equipment.  Does it already handle
the file type as it exists once the key is used to unlock the file? Can it
hold and handle the programming framework that initiates the key? We're
talking about additional outer shells of protective programming that not
only exist on the audiobook file, but must each be addressed through its own
accessing software once the file is on the gadget.  Each of these accessing
shells takes up space on the gadget.

If the Voice Sense is actually just a small multi-function computer that can
convert the file formats if a crack program is loaded onto it, then all the
rest becomes moot.  It's the equivalent of a laptop in terms of the basic
security concerns Pam and others have been so kind as to explain to us.

Bookport has handled these problems for the file formats it supports -- an
extremely large number, might I add -- by having the transfer program
address these issues on your computer before the information gets to the
gadget.  The computer and the transfer program are far more flexible and
have a much better chance of being able to handle more file format
processing than could be handled on a gadget, and for adapting to new file
formats as they are invented.  So I think this strategy for handling files
is an excellent one, overall.

Bookport made a good choice with their focus on this type of programming
solution, despite our frustration over the NLS problems.  Look how many file
types it is able to access!  We've gotten so used to this strategy working
almost invisibly for us that we're having fits when a single file format
can't be handled this way because of objections to having any program access
the files on the computer.

Basically, we're talking about the equivalent of proprietary software
issues.  Does anyone else remember when you couldn't read a document created
on a MAC if you were using a PC?  Or when you couldn't convert WordPerfect
Files into a format Word or WordStar could access without going back to the
original program to alter the file?  Anyone out there remember when most
Adobe files were not accessible to screen readers?  These types of security
issues are what has kept Adobe Acrobat and related programs at the top of
the game of secure document sharing.

It's a pain for us, and each transition for accessibility is slow in coming
when the security issues are not offset by monetary gain to be set in the
balance against the risk of lowering security standards to gain flexibility.
The whole thing hinges on the trade-off between money and security.  It's
not some wicked disregard for those who need audio access.  It's a
legitimate concern involving millions or billions of dollars overall,
depending on the time frames you choose to examine.  And even more important
than the actual cash value, it can have a huge impact on the livelihoods of
every author you choose to read.  If you value them for the products you
like to read, then it's important to remember that they are people with kids
to feed or bills to pay as well.  Their talents provide me with the
substance of work and the bulk of my entertainment.  Their fees for service
are not beyond what is reasonable.  Their security concerns are also
reasonable.

--Christy
http://caution-blind-driver.blogspot.com/

On