[bookport] Audible restrictions

  • From: "David Allen" <wd8ldy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 13:24:01 +1300

Hi all!

I am aware that folks outside the United States who are members of Audible
can't have access to all of the material Audible offers. This is determined
by whether Audible has international distribution rights to the item.
Unfortunate as this might be for some of us, I know it isn't something that
is easily changed. But I would like to know if there is a definite measure
of how much this means to customers who are in this category of members. I
can find no reference to this in Audible's help centre. I've tried Emailing
them, and received a response that detailed the prices and explanations of
the various membership plans. This is not relevant to my question.

I've tried calling them by phone, but to be frank, waiting in a hold queue
for over 30 minutes at international phone rates is not economically
appealing. So I am hoping someone here might have managed to receive a
reasonable answer to this question and would be willing to pass it on.

A friend of mine is interested in buying a bookport and joining Audible. But
he is concerned about how much he may be limited by this problem of
international distribution rights. He recently read the article in
AccessWorld about Audible that specifically mentions the Audible version of
the Harvard Business Letter, which he'd like to read. But that publication
is not available to us.

Any help appreciated.

Dave