[bookport] Audible Formats

  • From: "Angie Matney" <matneyar@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 08:28:08 -0400

I found this on the FAQ page for that *other* ebook reader. <grin>

BookCourier supports only type 4 Audible files. The type 4 files are encrypted
MP3 files and, therefore, tend to be large. While we would like to support
the other file types as well (types 1 through 3), all these files use
proprietary compression routines to make the files smaller. The companies who
own
these routines require royalty payments for their use and decryption.
Consequently, BookCourier support for these files types would require a much
greater
development effort as well as a higher cost to the customer.