[bookport] Re: Are there better terms to use instead of pitch and frequency?

  • From: "Sarah Cranston" <cranston.sarah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 15:02:12 -0500

Many of us who have used notetakers such as the Braille 'n Speak are =
familiar with the BookPort's use of pitch and frequency.  Pitch is just =
the "note" at which a voice speaks.  Frequency is, as you suggested, =
something like bass/treble.  I'm having trouble understanding where the =
problem is, it seems very obvious to me.  But, of course, that's just =
me.

Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 08:43:48 -0500
From: "Sarah Cranston" <cranston.sarah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Pete,

Here is what I consider to be the difference between pitch and =3D =
frequency.

Pitch is almost like the particular musical note at which a given voice =
=3D
speaks.  For instance, most women speak at a higher pitch than most men.

Frequency, (according to my ears), seems to be the amount of treble =3D =
and/or
depth a voice has.  A very high frequency voice provides a lot of =3D =
treble,
while a very low frequency voice is deep.

I hope this makes at least a little sense.  I hope anyone with a more =
=3D
cogent explanation will hold forth.

HTH

Sarah