[bookport] Re: Application file error

  • From: buhrow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Brian Buhrow)
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 15:58:30 -0800

        Gary.  Have you reformatted this card since you installed the new
firmware?  It sounds like you're running in to the problem I encountered
late last year, a problem which turned out not to be bookport related, but
which demonstrated similar symptoms.  The problem was that I was using a
FAT16 filesystem, but some of the files had bytes set to nonzero in places
where they shouldn't in their directory entries.  windows doesn't detect or
care about this condition, as I discovered, but the Bookport cares very
much.  One test I found you can do to detect this condition is to find a
file which demonstrates the error.  Then, wait for the bookport to turn
off.  Now, extract and reinsert the flash card.  Try reading the file,
witout switching files.  Does it work now?  What happens after you  move
through the directory?  Do you get any other errors?  Once you do, do
things stop working as you expect?  The clue is that if all works well
until you hit a file with the error, and then all else dies, then that
might be one problem.
        Also, confirm that the ._DD and ._IX files exist and have content.
I had one file that gave me an error like that, and I was all set to blame
Bookport when I discovered the ._DD file had gone missing.
-Brian
On Feb 8,  1:16pm, "Gary Wunder" wrote:
} Subject: [bookport] Application file error
} This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
}
} ------=_NextPart_000_000F_01C62CB1.CFD67610
}
} I downloaded a copy of the book giving me problems which I discussed =
} earlier. Now I can read it, but moving to other files gives me an error =
} which says
} "Application file error."=20
}
} I tried using the BP utility to fix file system errors but no result. =
} Any ideas?
}
} Gary
}
}
} ------=_NextPart_000_000F_01C62CB1.CFD67610
}
} <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
} <HTML><HEAD>
} <META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
} charset=3Diso-8859-1">
} <META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2900.2802" name=3DGENERATOR>
} <STYLE></STYLE>
} </HEAD>
} <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
} <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I downloaded a copy of the book giving =
} me problems=20
} which I discussed earlier. Now I can read it, but moving to other files =
} gives me=20
} an error which says</FONT></DIV>
} <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>"Application file error." </FONT></DIV>
} <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
} <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I tried using the BP utility to fix =
} file system=20
} errors but no result. Any ideas?</FONT></DIV>
} <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
} <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Gary</FONT></DIV>
} <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
} <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>
}