[bookport] Re: Amazing Voice

  • From: "Peter Torpey" <ptorpey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 10:41:43 -0500

This definitely seems like synthetic speech.  I would bet that it is AT&T
Naturally Speaking or something like it which uses a similar technology to
perform text-to-speech based on sampling from a human subject.  I recently
heard voices with similar quality from the samples provided on the Freedom
Scientific web site for their Sarat reading system.  Quite amazing - Too bad
this can't be done in a small unit like the Bookport with minimal processing
power.  This type of speech reproduction probably requires a fair amount of
horsepower.  Some day, we'll be there though!

-- Pete