[bookport] Re: Administrative Questions

  • From: "Jerry Neufeld" <jerry.neufeld@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 22:27:51 -0500

Hello Larry and fellow users.

Quote. "We are thinking of requiring administrative privledges to perform
firmware updates, and we would like to get an idea of how this would
effect the general user."

As I and others on this list have often remarked, one of the most
outstanding aspects of A P H's development of the BookPort concept is their
responsiveness to user needs and ideas for new features. While some of us
think the unit should remain a bullet-proof, full-featured book reader, no
one will question the benefits of additional utilities that have been added
to the original idea. Obviously, there is an upper limit to just how many
features can be added without making the initially easy-to-use device
cluttered and over-complicated. I, for one, can see no advantage whatsoever
to limiting incorporation of soft- or firmware upgrades to those who have
administrative privileges. Has there been a problem in this regard? Have
people complained to the A P H that unauthorized people have attempted to
modify the firm- and software pertaining to the bookPort? Surely, given the
number of innovative suggestions that have been expressed lately on this
list, there are more pressing needs than adding something that, as Marlaina
suggests, may have little more effect than to unnecessarily confuse users
new to computers and the BookPort.

All the best to everyone,

Jerry