[bookport] A few thoughts on the new BP+

  • From: "G. Morgan Watkins" <morgan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 11:10:56 -0600

I've also skimmed the documentation and listened to the interview.

A few thoughts:

It sounds like a really neat reader.  First impressions were pretty good.  Even
so, I agree that the lack of a Braille note-taking capability is a major
shortcoming.  I still carry my original BookPort with me, along with my Stream,
as I need my books and my ability to write.  If we are ever going to see
Braille input on the BookPort Plus, I hope it does not take any additional
hardware.  (I also agree that from the description of the new BookPort Plus, I
am not sure how they can use the current key configuration.  Assuming the
current keys can work out, support for Grade 2 Braille would make it a much
more useful device.

I believe it was noted about not being able to delete individual files in
"albums" from the BookPort Plus, although it did sound as if you could delete
entire albums, that is , folders.  As it sounds like I would organize podcasts
and other sound files into folders that would be identified as albums, I would
consider the inability to delete individual files as a major short-coming.  I
delete files, sound files included, as I finish reading them.  (I do understand
that deleting individual files from folders containing Daisy books is not a
good idea.)

I didn't see anything about moving files from one locale to another on the
BookPort Plus.  That is, sometimes I want to move a sound file from one folder
to another using the BookPort interface.  Moving files was a very useful
function on the original Book Port.

I really liked the new Backup command that works in moving objects from one
device to the other.  That sounds handy.  What other file management functions
are there?

Battery life seemed a bit shorter than preferred.  Is it possible and practical
to carry around an extra battery for use on trips, et cetera?

And, finally, I use my original BookPort as an alarm clock every day.  I love
the multiple alarm levels.  Did I miss something in my quick reading of the new
BookPort Plus docs?

I hope the new product does very well, and I do look forward to improvements
along the way.