[bookport] Re: A List Question

  • From: buhrow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Brian Buhrow)
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 12:19:32 -0800

        I think I can explain this.  The "From:" header of each mail message a
user sends out generally contains the sender's e-mail address.  However,
there is no requirement, from the mail delivery system's perspective, that
there be a "From:" field in a message in order for it to be sent and
delivered.  If such a message is received by the list management software
which controls this list, then it inserts the "from:" header you see, with
the bookport-bounce e-mail address.  Most mail clients, i.e. Outlook,
Eudora, Mozilla, Lotus Notes, and the like force you to have a "From:"
header containing your e-mail address.  However, some programs can be
configured to allow users to omit this header.  While this may give the
appearance of complete anonymity, don't be fooled into thinking that if you
did something mischievious in one of these anonymous messages that your
anonymity would be preserved for long.  The list management software, along
with the system which controls it, will have complete transaction logs
showing where the message came from, and when it was received.  Because
this is a members-only list, it will also show which member authorized the
message to be sent to the list.

        I suspect the messages we're seeing from Sara which don't have her
e-mail address, are the result of a bug in her mail program, or an
operational misunderstanding of how the program works at different times.

Hope that helps.
-Brian
On Jan 12, 11:38am, bookport-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
} Subject: [bookport] Re: A List Question
} And of course, go figure, it wouldn't happen on the one message I remember to
sign.
}
} Sarah
}