[boo] Feb. 6 rally in Salem re oil exploration off the coast

  • From: Linda Fink <linda@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "boo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <boo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2018 16:42:59 -0800

A strong coalition of conservation groups, Oregon Shores among them, quickly assembled to fight the Trump Administration’s announced plan to open our marine waters to oil exploration and potential drilling. We invite our members and all citizens concerned about the health of our oceans to participate in a rally taking place at 2:30 p.m. this Tuesday, Feb. 6, on the State Capitol steps in Salem. The rally is being held in conjunction with a public information meeting offered by the federal Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (BOEM) that day at the Red Lion Hotel in Salem. For more on this meeting, and how to comment to the Trump administration about the scheme to give oil companies access to our ocean, see the website.

The rally will last until about 4 p.m. Speakers will include representatives from the commercial and tribal fishing communities, legislators from coastal districts, and representatives of our federal and state officials. Participants are encouraged to wear black. Carpooling is being organized—to check into this, go here.

You can keep up with what is being planned, and RSVP, on the site that has been set up for the rally. Once you have RSVPed, you will receive updates on the logistics. (Thanks to our Surfrider colleagues for taking the lead on the logistical end.)

Participants are then encouraged to travel to the Red Lion Hotel (3301 Market St., N.E.), both to take part in the BOEM hearing and to protest outside on the sidewalk. (The BOEM event is a “listening session,” rather than a formal meeting. Members of the public will have a chance to circulate to meet various BOEM staffers and make comments. It isn’t necessary to be present for the entire session, which runs from 3-7 p.m.)

A good turnout at both the rally and the public information meeting will help to establish firmly that resistance will be fierce to any attempt to push through this threat to Oregon’s marine environment.

--

POST: Send email to boo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
HELP: Contact boo-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx