[bmtgraduates] Re: Public speaking as a person who is visually impaired

  • From: "Allen Adamson" <a.adamson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bmtgraduates@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2015 09:12:29 -0600

All,

First, I am not a great public speaker. This answer is based on observation
not great experience. A lot of the time we are looking for the audience to
approach us with affirmation. While a phenomenal speech will often invoke
such a response, not every speech (even a good one) will get such a
response. When we are delivering a speech that is more of a report, the
audience does not get as involved. I am not sure how well you know the
people you are speaking to, but that can have an effect on your speech as
well. Knowing them well will leave them with the tendency to listen without
much response. You can often get the same response from not knowing them at
all. One thing I like to do is spend some time with the audience prior to
your speech, soften them up if you will. This helps them be more responsive
to what you are delivering and helps them feel more comfortable about asking
questions. Also, feel free to ask questions. If no-one has any questions, in
a joking fashion, addressing the audience, give yourself a compliment about
how well your speech must have been being that you answered all the
potential questions in your delivery. Of course this might not be as
applicable in an uptight professional setting. However some type of
ice-breaking technique like this usually works well at provoking some
response. As my classmates know I am a bit of a self-proclaimed comedian and
I respond this way out of habit. Like I said I am by no means a
professional, but I truly believe that connectivity is very important in
making both you and your audience feel more comfortable. The more
comfortable we are, the more open we become.

Hope this helps.

Allen Adamson | Logistics Supervisor | West Texas Lighthouse for the Blind |
Tel: 325-653-4231 |

Fax: 325-657-9367 | Email: a.adamson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx