[bmtgraduates] Public speaking as a person who is visually impaired

  • From: "Sylvia Perez" <sperez@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bmtgraduates@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 14:43:51 -0500

Hello everyone!

I hear many B.M.T. alumni have signed up for our list. So, it is time to
start getting some discussion going.

Most of us do a lot of public speaking, and if you do not it is likely
that you will eventually have to.

What do you find the most challenging about public speaking? And, what
have you done to work on that?

I recently joined Toastmasters and have to say it has been a really
wonderful experience. I highly recommend Toastmasters.

And, from there I have learned some new tricks to overcome some of the
difficulties I have faced.

One of my major challenges is to make sure I talk to the whole audience
since I cannot see any of the audience members. Now, I have someone give
me information ahead of time by standing where I will speak from and
letting me know directionally whre the audience is. Using a 360 degree
target audience, so if I know the audience is about 120 degrees from my
center I know how far to move to address everyone.

What do you do, and what are your challenges with public speaking?

Best

Sylvia Stinson-Perez