[blindza] Seeing with Sound - The VOIC

  • From: "Jacob Kruger" <jacobk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BlindZA" <blindza@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 23:56:45 +0200

Hi

Although I still haven't tested this software too much yet, I've been checking out some more stuff on their website, and I see that among other things, there's a way that you can get the software to render an audio version of the whole computer screen without a camera attached, and they even mention guys using this feature to play very visual computer games like a normal sighted person, and not do badly.

Also, there's an add-on where you can get it to try do a version of OCR while using it, which means that you should be able to try read signs, labels etc. Granted they reckon this side of it is not very accurate or anything, but it's under development, and I reckon it's a wonderful idea.

One more thing, as well, I've already started testing the mobile version of this software on my cellphone, and among other things, you can use it to do colour sensing, and know what colour something is. While it's not perfect (and apparently needs to be calibrated using the colour white), it's better than nothing... This software should apparently run on cellphones using the Symbian 60 operating system for what it's worth, but it might in fact run on a bunch of others as well as long as they support the type of application.

Oh ja, the windows version also has 'exercise' mode which is supposed to stimulate your brain to get it to work better with this sort of interface, and another side of the exercise mode is basically an audio version of tic-tac-toe (noughts and crosses), where it permanently scans the board, and you actually use the audio input to know where you and the computer opponent have put your pieces/markings etc. etc.

Anyway, just thought I should give you guys an update.

Cheers

---
The 'homepage' for this list is at //www.freelists.org/list/blindza