[blindza] Next silly question about virtual vision, eye symptoms etc.

  • From: "Jacob Kruger" <jacobk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "NAPSA Blind" <blind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 20:02:19 +0200

Another thing the therapist in the UK tested my eyes with in 2006 was to see
how they reacted to some really strong reading glasses, even though I'm a B1.

In any case, to this day, if I put on reading glasses, it's like when in
sighted days you'd feel your pupils changing shape/trying to adapt focus, etc.,
and even then it was a little uncomfortable, and to this day it still feels
rather similar.

Now just wondering if this is just due to my body reacting to an old memory, or
is the light passing through these lenses affecting literally only the
pupils/eyes themselves, as opposed to the brain reacting to the now different
visual signal coming through?

Also, this is not something I tried in bright lights, where I suppose it could
be almost like focusing light on the eye like a magnifying glass since that's
basically what most of the cheapish reading glasses are similar to, but did
make sure tried it out in at least some light to see if that affected the
reaction at all - did a bit, but I knew had turned the lights on myself as such.

I do also have another pair of normal short-sighted glasses, and my eyes do
also seem to react differently to them even if I try to make sure I don't know
which is which before hand if that makes sense - they make me feel like my eyes
are changing focus, but not so uncomfortably as such.

This is just another slightly irrelevant question that have been wondering
about for some time, and, FWIW, the guy in the UK reckoned he was using it to
test if my eyes were in fact still passing some or other semi-subconscious type
of signal through to my brain, although it wasn't being recognised/noticed as
such etc. etc.

This whole thing relating to unnecessary reading glasses being somewhat
uncomfortable especially if looking at things further away than a book right in
front of you will also, most likely only make sense to previously sighted guys.

Lastly, the other thing the guy in UK tested me with was different coloured
sunglasses, of the same shapes, and he reckons I got those colours right
roundabout 80% of the time as well FWIW.