[blindza] 'New' free online screenreader software to try out

  • From: "Jacob Kruger" <jacobk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BlindZA" <blindza@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 14:18:08 +0200

Hi there

Something I've known about for a little while, but really only tried out today (in fact using it while typing this message) is Serotech's Free Online System Access to Go.

Basically, if you want to try it out, make sure you're online on almost any PC (I assume it needs Windows XP etc., but not sure), kill you're screenreader software, hit Windows key + R for the run dialogue, type in www.satogo.com and hit enter.

After a short while, it'll tell you to hit enter to continue, then you'll hear some progress sounds, and will twice be told to use the key combo of Alt + R (I would suggest that you wait around 30sec after each instructional statement before using that key combo), but after the second time, you'll in fact hear that it's installing/activating the screenreader software.

They will also ask if you want to register with them which would in fact allow you to save settings between sessions, and over various different machines since then your settings would be reloaded next time you logged on etc.

Either way, just another nice, free alternative to keep in mind, but, remember that you have do be online for this to work.

---
The 'homepage' for this list is at http://www.blindza.co.za