[blindza] Re: Landmarks on Google

  • From: "Jacob Kruger" <jacobk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindza@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 20:19:28 +0200

The following is an excerpt from the current jaws help file:
"The INSERT+CTRL+SEMICOLON keystroke now supports the function Select a
Landmark. Landmarks are ARIA tags that define the structure of a Web page. This
functionality provides useful information to a JAWS user when he or she
navigates pages that support ARIA landmark tags. Web content creators add these
tags to their pages. JAWS 10 and later can announce Web page landmarks when
using Firefox 3 and later. Landmark support will be available in Internet
Explorer 8 when it is officially released."

A heading is a much older HTML element, so it seems they're not really related
except that headings have always been used to somewhat structure the content of
webpages, but these landmarks are a newish thing.