[blindza] Gadget thoughts

  • From: "Jacob Kruger" <jacob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BlindZA" <blindza@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "NAPSA Blind" <blind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 10:42:48 +0200

Two things that came up in mind today, for whatever reason, are, wondering why
there aren't liquid level indicators/pouring sensors that work sort of
mechanically, instead of based on electronic circuits?

This is because, I suppose, especially in weather like we're currently having
up here in gauteng, the steam from something like coffee/tea can really cause
hassles if you try use an electronic pouring sensor at all...<smile>

Secondly, wondering about some or other form of keyring type tag you would
maybe attach to other things like rucksacks etc., and where you could do
something like turn on/off a motion sensor on it with something like a slider
switch, just so that you could, for example, put something in one place, and be
sort of notified if it was then moved as such, and, I suppose something like
that might be useful to both blindie parents for attaching to their children's
clothes, or for use by dog owners, as well as generally using it for maybe
making sure you knew where a handbag, rucksack, etc. were..?

You do already get sort of key rings with little audio beeps they can emit when
you then activate them using a separate form of remote control, but, just
thinking about something with it's own form of motion sensor in it so it would
notify you itself if it was moved, sort of automatically..?

Suppose something like that might also be of interest as a form of notifier if
something like a door was opened, etc., as well?

That one also brings up something that have thought for a while might be
interesting/useful for finding things like keys, coins, jewellery, etc., and
for this (really) last one, suppose some types of toy shops might actually be
the best place to look for something like a cheap/simple, relatively ruggedly
manufactured metal detector gadget?  Only issue there might also be that it
would have a limited range/focus area as well, but anyway..?