[blindza] Fw: HANDICAPPED SCUBA ASSOCIATION

  • From: "Jacob Kruger" <jacobk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BlindZA" <blindza@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 22:51:28 +0200

State Information Technology Age----- Original Message ----- HANDICAP SCUBA ASSOCIATION - S.A. and AMAGLUBGLUB

Zelda Norden - H.S.A. - S.A. Course Director
zelda@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/zelda@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
TEL: 084 858 1025

Lynn Retief - H.S.A.-Instructor
lynn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/lynn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
TEL; 083 260 7245

HANDICAP SCUBA ASSOCIATION (H.S.A.)

Founded in 1981, the Handicap Scuba Association has dedicated itself to improving the physical and social well being of people with disabilities through the sport of scuba-diving.

H.S.A. became the worldwide leading authority in this field with over 3000 underwater educators, scuba divers with disabilities and supporting members, located in over 45 countries. H.S.A. is dedicated to assuring that people with disabilities are given the same opportunity to receive quality training, certification and dive adventures as the able bodied population.

HANDICAP SCUBA ASSOCIATION - S.A.

For the FIRST time in South Africa H.S.A. (S.A.) was formed by Zelda Norden (currently the ONLY H.S.A. Course Director in Africa) and Lynn Retief, an H.S.A. Instructor. Their mission is toto passionately promote scuba diving for people with disabilities and through scuba diving making a difference in a person's life s life. The first H.S.A. (S.A.) Students were qualified at Guinjata Resort and they are: Andrew DuToit (C5 quadriplegic), Frank Juskievitz (C7 quadriplegic), Koos Coertze (T10 Paraplegic), VershaRowjee (Spina Bifida), Stanley Maloka(hearing-impaired), Laiken Hendricks(hearing-impaired) and PhilluppusKorff (Amputee Above Knee left & loss of usage on left arm) The positive effect scuba diving made to each and every student were so obvious and amazing and they were proud to be part of a new community called "SCUBA DIVING" They proved to the diving community of South Africa that scuba diving can be done by anyone who has the heart and courage to explore the underwater world and not use their disability as an excuse to live their life to its fullest. See letters from students who's lives was positively changed through scuba diving.

H.S.A. COURSES
Any person with a disability can scuba dive if it is cleared by a Medical Professional.

The course consists of homestudy material including DVD's and training manuals to fullycomprehend and understand the principles of scuba diving. 2 ½ days or 1 full day pool (confined water) training with an instructor where we teach thebasic skills about diving. 5 open water qualifying dives . The students will be evaluated afterwards to make sure they understand the physics of diving.

H.S.A. has 3 different certification levels.
Level A-Certified to dive with any other scuba diver.
Level B - Certified to dive with TWO dive buddies who are certified OW, level A or above Level C - Certified to dive with TWO dive buddies, ONE certified at the minimum level of a Rescue Diver and ONE Assisting Buddy certified Level A, Open Water or above.
(Also recommended to do the H.S.A. Certified Dive Buddy qualification)

THE IMPACT

"I think that one of the reasons I battle so much is because I hate being paralysed& want tolive life to the fullest. I was an extremely adventurous & energetic person before my accident, even winning trophies for athletics in Std 5, and spending holidays on our family game farm & swimming & bum-bashing in the Olifantsriver. This experience has given me something to look forward to! I've only just finished my training but I'm already thinking & planning all the
places I want to dive!" -Heather Wagner C4 Quadriplegic

"The first time I submerged my face into the ocean waters I was instantly engulfed in a new underwater world of wonder. As I descended closer to the reef beneath I was amazed and in awe of the indescribable glory that totally surrounded me and that kept me suspended in the zone of weightlessness and absolute freedom of movement. For the first time in over 28 years I realized I was in an environment where I was not aware, conscience or bound to the limitations of my disability. Freedom at last!" -Frank Juskievitz C7 Quadriplegic

AMAGLUBGLUB SCUBA CLUB
Frank Juskievitz - Amaglubglub Chairman
frank@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
TEL 082 412 0277

Amaglubglub is a Non-Profit Organisation established in February this year to impact and encourage people living with disabilities to partake in the art and practice of scuba-diving. It provides opportunities to establish social interaction and networking as the basis of ongoing life changing events and experiences especially to those who have lost purpose and vision.

Diving offers opportunities for adventure, learning and contribution by helping to share this wonderful underwater world and protect it. And within this seascape lies the perfect place to evoke and nuture a new sense of strength and freedom for people living with disabilities.

database 5543 (20101018) __________

http://www.eset.com

---
The 'homepage' for this list is at http://www.blindza.co.za