[blindza] FW: Latest imfama

  • From: "Jacob Kruger" <jacobk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BlindZA" <blindza@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 10:13:27 +0200

South African National Council for the Blind Newsletter

This is the 3/3 2009 Imfama, the official magazine of the South African
National Council for the Blind. If you are an assistive software user, please
read this newsletter as if it is a web page and use the hyperlinks to navigate
the page. If you are a Jaws user you can also use the following shortcut keys:
Insert + F7 will take you to a links list and Insert + F1 will take you to a
help page.

Imfama is the Xhosa word for a blind person. Imfama Magazine is published three
times a year.

Issue 3/3 2009

Volume 49 No 3

Special 80th Celebration Edition

This Edition
This Commemorative issue of Imfama celebrates 80 years of service brought to
the visually impaired community by the South African National Council for the
Blind. This milestone is marked by Imfama through an interesting selection of
articles which take a look at Council's past and also touch on what Council is
today - enjoy the read!

Contents

  From the Desk of the Editor

·         Rediscovering Council

Features

·         From Switchboard to CEO

·         80 Fast Facts - for 80 years of Council

·         Turning Back the Pages

Local News

·         Highlights from the week of the 'Blind Parliament': Council's 39th
Biennial Conference

·         Where are they now?

Member Organisations

·         3 of our oldest Member Organisations profiled

·         The South African Library for the Blind: 1919 - 2009

·         Institute for the Blind, Worcester: 1881 - 2009

·         Kwazulu-Natal Society for the Blind: 1918 - 2009

What's Happening?

·         International White Cane Safety Day

·         Casual Day

Science and Technology

·         Gadget-savvy 2009

Arts and Culture

·         DAC in support of the South African National Council for the Blind

·         Taxi hand signs for blind commuters

·         Development and change: Council's logo

Ian Hutton Column

·         Tarzan, BINGO and Council for the Blind.

From the Desk of the Editor

Rediscovering Council
Dr. William Rowland

We celebrate this year the 200th anniversary of the birth of Louis Braille, as
well as the 80th birthday of the South African National Council for the Blind.
This year is also the 25th anniversary of the founding of the World Blind
Union. It is a time to reflect on our history, take stock of the progress in
our work, and contemplate the future.

In this commemorative issue of Imfama, we are reminded of the people and events
that shaped our organisation, but we also see Council in action at its 39th
Biennial Conference in Mmabatho, in many ways a watershed event ushering in a
new generation of leadership. But we have also allowed for a little levity in
describing the changes in our technology and in pointing to extraneous
happenings that paralleled the establishment of Council.

The work of Council has been continuous through times of momentous change in
our country. When we started out in 1929, South Africa was a Union within the
British Empire. This was followed by the declaration of a Republic in 1961,
superseded by the new South Africa brought into being by the first democratic
election in 1994. Along the way the culture of our work was transformed from a
benevolent to a developmental approach, with the emergence latterly of a
people's organisation in which blind people have the major say in their own
affairs. The reference to the Biennial Conference as 'the Blind Parliament' is
more than a light-hearted remark; it is in fact a significant metaphor for the
way in which we carry out our decision-making.

We acknowledge with gratitude the sponsorship received through the Department
of Arts and Culture enabling us to publish this special issue of Imfama. We
also wish to recognise the efforts of several colleagues in researching the
information and mining our archives for photographs to illustrate our story.
Editing this issue of Imfama has been a very real pleasure, as well as a trip
down memory lane to rediscover long forgotten facts about the Council. I hope
that our readers, too, will find this issue informative, and enjoyable to read.

Back to contents

Features

From Switchboard to CEO -
Stacey Love

From humble beginnings as a switchboard operator 30 years ago, this
inspirational man has made his way up the corporate ladder through hard work
and perseverance in order to bring about positive change within the visually
impaired and deaf communities... at last he's sitting at the helm of one of the
largest NGO's in South Africa. Meet Jace Nair - newly appointed National
Executive Director of the South African National Council for the Blind.

Lying in a hospital bed at the age of 14, Jace had convinced himself that his
life was meaningless after he lost his sight overnight while being treated for
measles. However, two patients he would meet at the King Edward VIII Hospital
in Durban would change his perception of blindness. A blind boy, no more than
eight years of age, took it upon himself to help the nurses by bringing Jace
his medication and water. Another young patient was a scholar at the Arthur
Blaxall School for the Blind. These two boys brought Jace to the realisation
that blind people were not only still capable of carrying out daily tasks, but
that blind people could also still receive an education - something that Jace
wanted dearly.

An employee at the then Natal Indian Blind and Deaf Society was visiting the
hospital where Jace was an outpatient, to do some mobility training. The man
spoke to Jace's father and eventually convinced him to school Jace. 26 long
months later, Jace enrolled as a pupil at the Arthur Blaxall School. Equipped
with a new perception of what it meant to be living with blindness, and with
the opportunity to make the most of himself by attending a school for the
blind, things were looking hopeful for the young boy.

Mr. Kamlapersad Ramsarup Sitaram, the Director of the Aryan Benevolent Home
(ABH) - an NGO in Chatsworth, seen potential in Jace and, in 1982, told him of
an opening at his organisation for a Switchboard operator. The position wasn't
on offer to visually impaired applicants however, but Mr. Sitaram welcomed Jace
as a volunteer on the board nonetheless. Jace proved himself to be a highly
competent operator, and barely one month later, the originally sceptical ABH
committee board hired Jace.

Seizing an opportunity to help the organisation, Jace decided to sell
fundraising tickets for the organisation over the phone - his own initiative.
The success of this initiative led to Jace's promotion to the position of
National Public Fundraising Manager. When he left the organisation in 2000, his
original fundraising project was bringing in almost R700 000 in cash donations
on its own.

After joining one of Council's member organisations, the KwaZulu-Natal (KZN)
Blind and Deaf Society in 2000 as the organisation's Chief Executive Officer,
Jace oversaw the setting up of the KZN Optima College in 2004, helped start up
the KZN Community Based initiative in 2005, and implemented the opening of the
Victor Daitz Adult Basic Education and Training (ABET) Centre in 2007.

After almost nine productive years as their CEO, Jace took the next step in his
journey, occupying his new post as Council's National Executive Director from
September 1. Jace and his wife, Kay, who also worked in the NGO sector, moved
up from KwaZulu-Natal, while his 21-year-old daughter, Shankri and 20-year-old
son, Omesan, who are both completing BSc degrees at the University of Cape
Town, will call Pretoria home during their vacation breaks from studying.

Jace's insightful words for the visually impaired community he is set to serve
have given this community something to look forward to: "The important thing is
that we want to give people hope, we want them to know that there are
opportunities, and we need to find ways of creating access for them, so that
they can live an integrated, or inclusive life in their communities."

Past National Executive Directors of Council:

  a.. Mr. Stephen King Wentworth 1961 - 1972
  b.. Mr. Andrew Mardon 1972 - 1975
  c.. Dr. William Peter Rowland 1976 - 2005
  d.. Ms. Jill Wagner 2005 - 2009
  e.. Mr. Jace Nair 2009 - present

Back to contents

80 Fast Facts - for 80 years of Council
Hazel Marshall

Did You Know That.

  1.. Val Pond wrote the first "Fast Facts" column in 1983.
  2.. In our writings, 'blind' encompasses blindness, low vision and partial
sight.

About 'Firsts' and Other Celebrations

  3.. Adv. Bowen piloted the Blind Persons Act through Parliament in 1936.
  4.. The first Trophy of Light golf fundraiser was held at the Clovelly
Country Club in Cape Town in 1937.
  5.. Alan Hamilton was SA's first blind physiotherapist;
  6.. First blind chef, Craig Smith;
  7.. First blind radio actress, Zelda Truter;
  8.. First blind female lawyer, Lynita Conradie;
  9.. First blind Catholic priest, Patrick McNamee; and
  10.. The blind first television presenter was Rhulani Baloyi.
  11.. Braille Services was first to computerise production in 1983.
  12.. In 1937 Ezenzeleni was the first sheltered workshop for blind black
people.
  13.. The South African Library for the Blind (SALB) appointed its first blind
Board Member in 1977.
  14.. In 1973 Imfama first mentioned computers opening new jobs.
  15.. Joseph Lister, famous blind preacher, turned 100 in 1987.
  16.. The World Blind Union was formed in Riyadh in October 1984.
  17.. Mrs Elize Botha officially opened Council's headquarters in October
1985.
  18.. Council launched its new regional structure in 1996.
  19.. The Pioneer School celebrated its 100th anniversary in 1981;
  20.. St. Dunstans SA their 90th in 2008;
  21.. The SA Library for the Blind their 90th in 2009.
  22.. Arthur Blaxall established the League of Friends of the Blind in 1933;
  23.. Antonie Schwartz established the South African Blind Workers
Organisation (SABWO) in 1946; and
  24.. The Northern Transvaal Association of the Blind (NORTRAB) was the
forerunner of the South African National Association of Blind and Partially
Sighted Persons.

About Blindness

  25.. According to the World Health Organisation, worldwide there are 37
million totally blind people.
  26.. Age-related macular degeneration currently affects 25 million people
worldwide.
  27.. In 1934 Council imported and distributed an American film on blindness
prevention.
  28.. Although preventable, cataract blindness remains the leading cause of
blindness worldwide.
  29.. Trachoma has been mainly eradicated in South Africa by Council's Bureau
for the Prevention of Blindness.

About Braille

  30.. Louis Braille invented far more than the literary code, for example
braille music notation.
  31.. Volunteers play the major part in SA's Braille development.
  32.. In 2008 Pioneer Printers produced SA's first Braille atlas.
  33.. Philip Jordaan of Braille Services devises braille crosswords, sudokos
and other puzzles.
  34.. In 1983 SA's blind people launched their 'Braille Paper for Africa'
project.
  35.. In 1998 Imfama predicted the current literacy crisis in schools.
  36.. Writing braille with a stylus is a dying art.

About Personal Achievements and About Injustices

  37.. Harry Mohale started his one-man housing campaign in the 1960s.
  38.. Blind lawyer Max Kowen ran a successful employment agency for sighted
legal personnel.
  39.. Patrick Molala, recently retired from Council, was a political prisoner
on Robben Island for 7 years.
  40.. Arthur Blaxall's part in SA's political struggle led to his suspended
sentence.
  41.. William Rowland's doctoral thesis 'Being Blind in the World' was
published in 1984.
  42.. More recently, Praveena Sukhraj-Ely and Obert Maguvhe obtained their
PhDs.
  43.. At year end 1997 Geoff Hilton-Barber sailed solo from SA to Australia.

About Education, Rehabilitation and Employment

  44.. SA has 22 schools for the blind.
  45.. Grade 10 was introduced at the Pioneer School in 1931 and Grade 12
(matric) in 1943.
  46.. Florence Blaxall started teaching the first deafblind learners in 1937.
  47.. Long cane mobility was devised by American Ophthalmologist, Dr Richard
E. Hoover.
  48.. SA's long cane training commenced in 1974.
  49.. The Ellerman Trust is the major sponsor of Orientation & Mobility
services in South Africa;
  50.. They have contributed R9 million over 3 decades.
  51.. SA's first guide dog team in 1955 comprised Eddie Dix and Pluto.
  52.. SABWO staged SA's first adaptive technology conference in 1984.
  53.. Council's Resource Centre stocks over 300 different assistive devices.
  54.. Most blind people gain computer skills through the 'school of hard
knocks!'
  55.. SA's first low vision conference was held in 1989.
  56.. Most universities nowadays have units to support blind and disabled
students.
  57.. Council currently employs development workers in most Provinces.
  58.. The Nkosinathi Foundation was first to employ community field workers.
  59.. Disability policies are creating countless new jobs for blind people.
  60.. 200 plus blind call centre agents have been trained but few have found
jobs.
  61.. Among blind people, beekeeping is thriving once more.

Miscellaneous

  62.. The British royal family visited Worcester's blind people in 1947.
  63.. Helen Keller toured SA for 2 months in 1951.
  64.. The Pioneer School once owned a pet horse named Braillie.
  65.. Alan Paton vividly described Ezenzeleni in 'Cry the Beloved Country.'
  66.. Famous author Es'kia Mphahlele worked in administration at Ezenzeleni,
and
  67.. Bishop Tutu's mother worked there as a cook.
  68.. Victor Vaughan wrote 2 books on Council's history.
  69.. In 1991-1993 Viva Scratch Cards raised R90 million.
  70.. The SALB opened its Mary Spurling Cassette Library in 1983.
  71.. Blind Dispatch resident Johannes Geel raised R2000 for charity by
auctioning his beard.
  72.. Fragrance gardens for blind people were once very popular.
  73.. Ignoring international initiatives, SA declared 1986 it's 'Year of the
Disabled'.
  74.. The SALB's Pasha Alden is related by marriage to Josie Wood, founder of
the SALB.
  75.. Council's Andre Scheffler was pastor to Nelson Mandela on Robben Island.
  76.. Dave Henderson of PE designed the popular money stick.
  77.. The SALB functions under its own Act of Parliament.
  78.. The UN adopted its Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities
in 2007.
  79.. Braille Services has produced Susan Woolf's tactile book of hand signals
for blind taxi commuters.
  80.. Council turned 80 in March 2009.

Back to contents

Turning Back the Pages
Hazel Marshall

Turning back the pages of Imfama provides the reader with an instant, vivid
picture of the people and events that have shaped the SA National Council for
the Blind for half a century. To mark the 80th anniversary of Council, we
invite you to join us in examining this faithful public record of so many of
our challenges and successes. Because the same process was followed in 1982,
when Imfama turned 21, and again in 1986, we will pause there for a moment
before we look more closely at the succeeding years.

The inaugural issue in 1961 featured a congratulatory letter from Josie Wood,
the founder of both the South African Library for the Blind and the South
African National Council for the Blind. Other founders and pioneers whose
achievements were proudly recorded, included: Ernst and Monica Kruger of
Braille Services; Gladys Evans of SA Guide-Dogs for the Blind; Enid Whitaker
for promoting rehabilitation services; Jan Venter of Tape Aids for the Blind;
Katie van Rensburg for deafblind education; Cassim Bassa for a lifetime of
voluntary service to  blind and deaf people; Mary Spurling for 38 years of
service to the South African Library for the Blind; and the tiny group of blind
people who gave a voice to thousands of others through the movement 'What We
Can Do Now' which culminated in the inauguration of the Associated Blind of
South Africa in 1986. Other highlights were the opening of South Africa's first
Braille Trail in the famous Kirstenbosch Gardens; Moira Higgerty's article on
environmental hazards for blind people; Victor Vaughan's article on the
Afrikaans Bible produced by Pioneer Printers from 1934 to 1945 and Sarel van
der Walt's ambitious strategy for eye care for all by 1990.

In 1987 Imfama focuses on statistics and causes of blindness in South Africa in
a 3-part series. There is an article on the need for low vision services and
another on research into albinism commenced in 1971 by the Medical Research
Council. 1988 records valuable input from the Southern African Federation of
the Disabled on development issues and Optima investigates computer training.
From 1989 onwards there is a clear shift of emphasis to international trends
and to the need for increasing local services to under-served areas. Pam
McLaren discusses rural issues and William Rowland establishes the Viva Trust
with its popular scratch card games, which a few years later calls for the
establishment of a National Lottery. In December 1993 first mention appears of
the ideal to devise a unified Braille code, starting with English.

In 1994 we find the breath-taking excitement of South Africa's first democratic
elections and the quest for a secret ballot for blind voters, which was finally
realised in 2009. From then onwards there are numerous references to the
transformation of Council itself through its Project Renewal and consequent
constitutional adjustments. The changes and strengthening of Council structures
by the participation of numerous new players, in governance and in staff
complement, are detailed in full.

In 1997 Imfama announces the first South African production of the Perkins
Brailler, which results in a 40% saving for blind individuals. This is an
example of the practice of making readers aware of every technological advance,
from a R1 signature guide to a R1 million Braille embosser, designed to promote
the independence of blind people.

Bennie van Rensburg, first blind diplomat, and Hendrietta Bogopane-Zulu, first
blind Cabinet Minister, are but two of the personalities whose stories inspire
the reader. Imfama also tells us of scores of other occupations and their blind
practitioners. To mark the 60th anniversary of Council, 82 occupations are
listed. By now there are many more. One of these, contact centre operators, is
highlighted when training is established by Opticall in 2002.

Like Bengt Lindqvist's 2001 report on measuring progress in rights on paper
against rights in reality, Patrick Molala's 2003 paper on activism is a fine
example of the thinking influencing our activities in recent years.

2004-5 issues showcase the World Blind Union General Assembly meetings in Cape
Town and the election of William Rowland as WBU President. In the following
years the pages of Imfama are crammed with a variety of articles on such
popular topics as education, literacy, sport, technology and international
news. There are also stories of the joys and woes of member organisations and
blind men, women and children, culminating in 2009 with the worldwide
celebration of the 200th anniversary of the birth of the blind genius Louis
Braille.

Though there have been countless contributors to Imfama since 1961, there have
been only two editors - Walter Cohen from inception until his death in 1980 and
William Rowland since then. As we do now, future generations will no doubt
revel in this priceless resource, created by Walter and William.

Back to contents

Local News

Highlights from the week of the 'Blind Parliament': Council's 39th Biennial
Conference
Compiled by Stacey Love

What is the Biennial Conference?

Every second year, the South African National Council for the Blind stages its
Biennial Conference, fondly referred to as the Blind Parliament. The Parliament
is attended by Council's Member Organisations from across the country, and
serves as a platform for these Member Organisations to meet and discuss
important focus areas, to make resolutions, as well as to elect Council's
Office Bearer's for the following two-year period.

The 39th Biennial Conference

Support from the Ministry of Woman, Children and People with Disabilities and
financial assistance from the European Union, which was secured through the
support of and further sponsorship from the Department of Arts and Culture,
enabled the hosting of this year's conference, which was held in Mmbatho in the
North West province from 13 - 15 October. 71 of Council's 97 Member
Organisations attended.

The 39th Conference took place within a very important year for the blindness
community at large and for Council in specific - 2009 is both the 200 year
anniversary of the birth of Louis Braille as well as the year of Council's 80th
birthday. The Blind Parliament also coincided with Council's Bureau's cataract
blitz in Mafikeng from 14 - 18 October, which took place as part of the Eye
Care Awareness Month campaign. A unique feature of the 39th Biennial Conference
was the presence of Assistive Technology Exhibitors which included the North
West Province's Department of Sport, Arts & Culture, Sensory Solutions, Neville
Clarence Technologies, Perkins, HumanWare as well as Council's Resource Centre
and Council's Visually Impaired Arts & Crafts Project.

The Conference's order paper contained some of the following items of interest:
a session with various addresses on braille; a session relating to voting by
blind people; the election of Council's Office Bearers; a session discussing
various assistive devices and technologies for use by blind and partially
sighted people; a session discussing the mandate of the new Ministry of Women,
Children and People with Disabilities as well as a discussion around the
National Disability Policy and the United Nation's Convention on the Rights of
Persons with Disabilities. The next Conference will take place in 2011 in the
Northern Cape.

Basic summary of the Conference Resolutions

*Full documentation of Resolutions can be obtained from Council's offices.

1. Braille

  a.. Braille should be a compulsory subject for both blind and partially
sighted learners in Special and Mainstream Schools.
  b.. Teachers of visually impaired learners as well as Government Ministers
should all be able to read / write braille.
  c.. Braille and the use thereof (through devices such as Perkins Brailler /
Slate and stylus) should be made more accessible.
  d.. All information should be made available in braille - braille is to be
seen as synonymous with literacy.
  e.. Efforts to expand braille production (including training) and braille
consumption to be actively supported.

2. Voting in SA's Local, Provincial and National Elections

  a.. Council, in consultation with the Independent Electoral Commission (IEC),
will be responsible for further developing the election process for blind
people.
  b.. Workshops on the use of braille templates used in the secret-voting
process are to be held.

3. Tactile Graphics

  a.. More Tactile Graphic Designers to be trained to encourage the
proliferation of tactile graphics for blind people.

4. Low Vision

  a.. Accessibility to low vision assistive devices to be increased.

5. UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities

  a.. With reference to the following instruments: the United Nations
Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities; the 'White Paper on an
Integrated National Disability Strategy' as well as various pieces of
legislation that have been enacted to protect and promote the rights of South
Africans with disabilities.
  b.. Council to establish a committee to monitor the implementation of these
instruments and hold Government accountable for compliance with them.
  c.. Council to draw up a strategic plan which, when ratified, will ensure
that the rights guaranteed in the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with
Disabilities will be realised to its full extent.
  d.. Council to be placed on a Government task-team to assist the Ministry of
Women, Children and People with Disabilities in devising a 5-year plan.

6. Devolution of Services

  a.. Council to continue its programme of devolution of services (which
includes provision of leadership, resources, capacity building and training) to
the provinces.
  b.. Council to ensure an equitable distribution of available budget to the
provinces - with the possibility of prioritising funding to provinces facing
greater resource challenges.

7.  Youth and Women

  a.. Council should build the capacity of its own visually impaired youth wing
(SABYO) and its own visually impaired women's wing (SABWIA) through its
committees and structures.
  b.. Coordinators for women and for youth should be employed at Council's head
office.

8. Strategic Planning Workshop

  a.. A report-back on the strategic planning workshops will be used by the
National Executive Committee (NEC) for the development of strategies of
Governance and Service Delivery.

9. Outreach and Training

  a.. Development programmes and training opportunities to support and skill
smaller member organisations and individuals in rural and outlying areas are to
be implemented.

10. Education

  a.. Implementation of Mathematics and Science as school subjects for visually
impaired learners to be prioritised.

11. Grants

  a.. Council to appeal to the Cabinet for urgent consideration of grants for
additional expenses on assistive devices and on vehicle allowance (as is
already the case for physically disabled persons) for visually impaired
persons.

12. Donor Support

  a.. Appreciation to all donors in support of Council's vision and mission to
be expressed.

13. Sport

  a.. More provision for the promotion of sport to be made in Council's budget.

14. Logo

  a.. The internationally recognised symbol for disability should be modified
so that it is more representative of visual impairment as opposed to only
physical disability.

15. Council's Constitution

  a.. Council's constitution to be amended as per minutes of the 39th Biennial
Conference.

16. Elected Office Bearers

  a.. Council's newly elected Office Bearers for the next biennial period are
as follows: Chairperson - Advocate Lucky Bokaba; Deputy Chairperson - Dr.
Praveena Sukhraj-Ely; Treasurer - Philip Bam.

17. Resolutions

  a.. NEC to approve and adopt final draft of the 39th Biennial Conference
Resolutions.

The Gala Dinner

A Gala Dinner was held on the first evening of the Conference, during which,
Council's Highest Honour - The RW Bowen Medal - was bestowed on two special
recipients. Two guests of honour - the MEC of Health and Social Development of
the North West Province, Ms. Rebecca Kasienyane, and author of the biography
'Louis Braille: A Touch of Genius', Mr. Michael Mellor (who was also a key-note
speaker), were present at the event. British-born author, and long-time editor
of the Matilda Ziegler Magazine for the Blind, Michael Mellor, travelled all
the way from New York to be present at our Biennial Conference.

The RW Bowen Medal Recipients

The RW Bowen Medal for Lifelong Meritorious Service to the Blind, Council's
highest honour, was awarded to Mrs. Hazel Marshall and posthumously to Mr.
Gideon Maromo Matsobane Phasha during the Gala Dinner.

Meet Mrs Hazel Marshall:

As the first blind woman to receive a bursary for the study of physiotherapy at
the Royal National Institute for the Blind in London, Mrs Hazel Marshall's
lifelong meritorious service to the blind began after she opened her own
physiotherapy practice in Port Elizabeth upon her return to South Africa. Since
then, Hazel has been a member of the Council's National Executive for 39 years
since 1970, during which she also served as Vice-Chair. She was part of the
South African Blind Workers Organisation (now Blind SA) first as an ordinary
member, then as a member of its National Executive Committee, later as its
Vice-President and finally as its President. Hazel was on the Board of the
South African Library for the Blind for some 30 years, and was also a member of
the Board of the Khanyisa School for about 10 years. She has been the Chair of
the Nkosinathi Foundation for many years - a position that has exposed her to
the abject poverty of thousands of African blind people which has fired her
determination to continue to work within the sector. Hazel's development of a
Committee of Consumers within Council, as well as her development and
implementation of an accessible voting system for the blind, not to mention her
work as a teacher of braille to many blind students, all attest to the impact
she has had on the South African blindness community. Mrs Hazel Marshall was
elected as Council's new Honorary Vice-president at the 39th Biennial
Conference - she will serve alongside Honorary President, Dr. William Rowland.

Meet Mr. Gideon Maromo Matsobane Phasha:

Gideon Maromo Matsobane Phasha, praised by the name Mmanapyane, excelled both
as an educator and as a leader of educators, with prominent roles in the
Professional Educators Union (formerly known as TUATA). His career at Bosele
School for the Blind and Deaf from 1961 until 1989 was marked with selfless
dedication to service. His commitment to furthering future development of blind
children and his implementation of many progressive innovations at the school,
led to major improvements which, amongst many others, enabled the school to
enroll its first matriculant in 1985. Mmanapyane also successfully urged the
Bosele School Board to establish the Bosele After-Care Centre. He served the
cause of blind people with distinction through various organisations. In 1986
Mmanapyane co-ordinated the establishment of the SA National Association of
Blind and Partially Sighted Persons - he was later elected as the
organisation's patron. He also served on the Development Committee of the South
African National Council for the Blind and later held the title of the
organisation's Honorary Vice-President until he passed away on 31 December 2004.

Meet Council's new Office Bearers

Fast facts: Advocate Gabriel Lucky Modibedi Bokaba

  a.. Lost sight at age of 3 after contracting measles;
  b.. Was schooled at Bosele School for the Blind;
  c.. Matriculated from mainstream school -  Vlakfontein Technical School in
Mamelodi;
  d.. Obtained a B.Luris degree and LLB postgraduate degree from the University
of the North (Limpopo);
  e.. Has practiced law as an Advocate on many high-profile cases;
  f.. Was instrumental in the formation of the SA National Association of Blind
and Partially Sighted Persons (SANABP) as well as the Student's Disability Unit
at Wits;
  g.. Served as Chairperson for the Disabled Student's Movement at Wits
University and also for the Disabled Sports Union at the University of Limpopo;
  h.. Served as Deputy Chairperson for Council for four years;
  i.. Currently employed as Director of New Dawn Group - an IT company.

Fast facts: Dr. Praveena Sukhraj-Ely

  a.. Born partially sighted and became blind at age 12 through retinal
detachment;
  b.. Matriculated from Arthur Blaxall School for the Blind at the age of 16
with an A aggregate;
  c.. Obtained Degrees in Social Science and LLB, Masters in Political Science,
and Doctorate (PhD) in Public Policy;
  d.. At age 30, was the youngest visually impaired woman to secure a PhD;
  e.. Served on the board of the KZN Blind and Deaf Society (KZNBDS) and was
Vice-Chair of the Southern Light Association of the Blind and Deaf of the
KZNBDS for many years;
  f.. Currently works for the Department of Justice as an Advocate of the High
Court of South Africa.

Fast facts: Philip Bam

  a.. Holds Diplomas in Theology, Business Management and Public Relations;
  b.. Presented with the Mayoral Award for Community service within Western
Cape;
  c.. Designed and developed Independence Development and Early Childhood
Development Programmes at the League of Friends of the Blind (LOFOB);
  d.. Serves as the Vice Chairperson of Council's Western Cape Provincial
Office as well as the Treasurer of Western Cape's Blind Cricket Association;
  e.. Currently employed as the Executive Director of LOFOB.

Back to contents

Where are they now?
Lilla Fourie

Coralie Marx

For many years Coralie was the voice of Council. She was at the switchboard
from 1957 until her retirement in 1995. Callers were always greeted with
friendly enthusiasm and could be sure of a helpful response. Nowadays she lives
in Sunnyside and is an avid radio listener, the phone-in programmes and talk
shows being her favourites. She loves reading as well, and is a member of the
Grahamstown Library as well as Tape Aids for the Blind.

Daan van Niekerk

Daan van Niekerk was appointed as Placement Officer at Council in 1982 and left
the organisation in 2005 while holding the post of Technical Advisor. During
the almost 24 years at Council, Daan's ever helpful, friendly and meticulous
nature saw him handling matters such as import duty on assistive devices,
voting by visually impaired people at elections and Telkom concessions for
blind persons. He also represented Council on government committees, on
inter-disability committees, technical committees of the SABS, as well as at
disability forums.

Daan, who was elected to the Blind SA Executive Committee, where he serves as
Chairperson for the Loans Committee, has established a rehabilitation service
for newly-blinded people called the BWO Orion Rehabilitation Project, under the
auspices of Blind SA's member organisation, the Blind Workers Organisation
Orion. Daan is also involved with various community activities and enjoys a
busy family life with his wife Lettie.

Henoch Schoeman

Dr Henoch Schoeman joined Council as an Education Consultant in 1997, where he
helped develop and implement Council's education policy as well as the ABET
pilot project. He was appointed Director of Optima College in 2000 and resigned
in 2006 to take up a position at Christoffel Blindenmission (CBM) in Cape Town,
where he serves as Co-funding Coordinator, tasked with the responsibility of
initiating and facilitating the development of funding proposals - the funding
of which is used to support about 60 medical, educational and community based
rehabilitation projects. CBM's Southern African Regional Office serves people
with disabilities in a number of Southern African countries. While he says he's
grateful for the opportunity to work at CBM, he treasures the memory of being
involved in Council's work.

Niresh Singh

As a partially sighted person, Niresh Singh enrolled for training at Optima
College in 1995. He joined the staff of Council in 1996 as a Mobility
Instructor. He was instrumental in setting up the Low Vision Department, and he
later became Development Coordinator and finally, he moved to the Human
Resources Department. Niresh lived at the Optima hostel for the best part of
his years at Council, looking after the students and organising recreational
and sporting activities for them in which he himself took part with
characteristic enthusiasm. He left Council in 2001 to join the Department of
Labour's Employment Equity Directorate where he now is the manager of Policy
Development.

Abia Mokwele

Abia Mokwele is a marvel of memory. He started his career working as a
messenger at Council in 1956, retired in 2001 after many years as record keeper
and at 75 is still Council's walking archive. Ask him about Council matters,
correspondence, meetings and committees and from the top of his head he'll be
able to give you a brief summary and then give you an indication of exactly
where to find the information. After 45 years at Council, Abia has earned
himself the freedom of visiting friends and spending time with his wife Frieda,
his seven children and four grandchildren. He enjoys good health and will, as
in the past few years, be on stand-by should Council need his services again.

Vanessa Bezuidenhout (neé Bouwer)

Vanessa began work at Council as a Public Relations Officer at the tender age
of 23, and after 11 years moved onto the De Wildt Cheetah and Wildlife Trust,
where she found herself working with income generation and with animal
management. Vanessa was also presented with an opportunity to start a very
meaningful Outreach Education Programme through her work at the Trust. Vanessa
then moved on to secure the position of Director of Fundraising and Marketing
for the Endangered Wildlife Trust, which is based in Johannesburg. Vanessa
reminisces: 'There is not a day that goes past that I do not think of my
wonderful days at the South African National Council for the Blind. Greetings
to all my friends all over the world. I would love to hear from you: E-mail:
vanessab@xxxxxxxxxx'

Herman Kluever

Herman Kluever was appointed Director of the Bureau for the Prevention of
Blindness in 1998. He managed the Bureau with dedication, passion and a firm
hand. He saw the Bureau as a business and not as a welfare organisation and
under his management the Bureau became the flagship of Council. He retired in
2006 with pension at the age of 69, but was soon involved in helping the
University of Pretoria's Department of Ophthalmology set up a Vision 20/20 unit
at the Pretoria West Hospital. The unit was up and running later the same year
and now performs 2 000 eye operations every year of which about 1 300 are
cataract surgeries. They see 500 outpatients a month.

Back to contents

Member Organisations

3 of our oldest Member Organisations profiled

The South African Library for the Blind: 1919 - 2009
Francois Hendrikz

The South African Library for the Blind (SALB) has a long and proud association
with the South African National Council for the Blind. As a matter of fact,
Josephine Wood, who laid the foundation of the SALB during 1919, and worked
here until her death in 1965, was also one of the key people involved with the
formation of Council as an organisation. She was co-opted onto Council's
Executive in 1930. The mutual support and cooperation between the two
organisations still applies today as evidenced this year, where our two
organisations shared the valued services of Judge Zak Yacoob as Council's
Chairperson and Chair of the SALB Board simultaneously. The history and focus
of the two organisations are inextricably intertwined.

The SALB celebrated its 90th year of existence during 2009. During this period
the main aim of the Library was, as it will continue to be, to try and make
published information as accessible to visually impaired people as possible in
whatever medium. The number of titles produced and the number of members served
is but a small part of a big picture. Since braille and digital audio books are
not freely available from commercial publishers, the Library is committed to
republish printed material in alternative formats. To be able to do this, the
input, skills and knowledge of a vast number of people, such as copy-typists,
braillists, narrators, proofreaders, editors, audio technicians and so forth
are required. The combination of what these and other people are doing enables
the Library to make available a product that can be enjoyed by the more than
3,600 blind members.

Production of material is one part of what the Library is about. There is also
the technical and managerial support which for instance enables members of the
Library to have access to functional equipment and to explore new technological
opportunities and to engage with role-players in the publishing industry in
order to have access to material. There is also the daily interaction and
support service the Library offers to its members and other interested people
to address user needs and to ensure smooth service delivery.

The Library, which offers unique services, not only in South Africa but also on
the African continent at large, has a long and proud history. Because of this,
the SALB is a very active member of the International Library for the Blind
community. The Library cannot achieve its objectives without the support of
various role-players of which Council is one. We are looking forward to the
next 90 years of cooperation to improve the lives of visually impaired people
across South Africa.

Back to contents

Institute for the Blind, Worcester: 1881 - 2009
Cathy Hugo

Since the Institute was established in 1881, it has been providing an
environment that allows blind, partially sighted and deafblind persons as well
as visually impaired persons with additional disabilities, to develop into
independent and productive members of society.

Our vision is to provide equal opportunities to visually impaired persons and
our mission is to empower them through education, training, development and
care towards a fulfilling life and complete citizenship.

Over the past 128 years, the Institute has grown and now successfully provides
the following services and facilities through its various sections as listed
below.

Industries (established in 1933)

Industries provides all-inclusive accommodation services and employment
opportunities to visually impaired adults. Through this service these adults
enjoy:

  a.. employment in six factories - weaving, woodwork, metal, cane, packing and
mattress departments;
  b.. accommodation and meals in hostels and flats;
  c.. recreational facilities;
  d.. orientation and mobility training;
  e.. low vision services;
  f.. adult education and
  g.. medical and social care.

Ebenhaezer (established in 1995)

The home provides a supportive working and living environment to blind persons
with multiple disabilities, which include:

  a.. accommodation in Ebenhaezer;
  b.. all meals;
  c.. recreational facilities;
  d.. medical care;
  e.. social services;
  f.. career development and
  g.. orientation and mobility training.

Pioneer Foods Training centre (established in 2005)

This programme offers the following training opportunities to visually impaired
adult residents and employees:

  a.. life skills;
  b.. orientation and mobility;
  c.. alternative communication;
  d.. computer training;
  e.. braille literacy;
  f.. adult education and
  g.. creative skills.

Brevis Home (established in 1977)

The home strives to improve the quality of life of elderly visually impaired
persons. This is accomplished through the provision of:

  a.. accommodation in Brevis Home;
  b.. all meals and
  c.. medical and social care.

Pioneer School (established in 1881)

The Institute serves as a sponsoring body to the Pioneer School. Financial
support is provided in order to promote the education offered to visually
impaired learners on a primary, secondary and tertiary level. Learners are
provided with:

  a.. accommodation in hostels;
  b.. specialised teaching and medical services;
  c.. orientation and mobility training;
  d.. sport and cultural activities and
  e.. a resource centre.

Pioneer Printers (established in 1903)

Pioneer Printers forms a part of the Pioneer School and it produces quality
learning and reading material to visually impaired persons of all ages. This
material is distributed nationwide in the following formats:

  a.. braille;
  b.. large print and
  c.. audio cassette.

Career Development Unit (established in 1933)

Pioneer School receives financial assistance to investigate career
opportunities and job placement for visually impaired students and to provide
the necessary training in career development in:

  a.. call centre and client service training and
  b.. training in computer programming.

Back to contents

Kwazulu-Natal Society for the Blind: 1918 - 2009
Merle Browne

We are extremely proud of our 90 year history! In 1918, John Edward Palmer
founded Our Own Blind Fund. It was the first civilian blind society to be
formed in South Africa. From its inception its ideal was to establish a
training centre where blind persons could be taught by experts to make saleable
articles and thus earn a livelihood. The visionary, John Edward Palmer, was an
idealist and good businessmen - a compassionate man who devoted his life to
alleviating the sufferings and hardships of others. With good business contacts
and sheer enthusiasm, Mr Palmer established an influential committee who raised
considerable monies enabling the opening of a fully equipped cane workshop in
1938.

One of the most prominent persons in our 90 year history was Mrs Constance
Cawston who had a long association with the Society, serving as President from
1938 to 1948. Mrs Cawston was a fearless woman - a leader, a humanitarian and
fundraiser extraordinaire. The daughter of a Methodist missionary, Mrs Cawston
was fluent in Zulu and worked tirelessly in her mission to assist blind persons
of all races. Due to the numerous press clippings which she meticulously kept
during her time in office, we have wonderful insight into both the Society and
the woman. Mrs Cawston understood the benefit of establishing good
relationships with the press and the Society/Mrs Cawston featured regularly -
often in both the morning and evening editions. Invariably the story was linked
to a fundraising drive identified by Mrs Cawston and it always had a positive
outcome.

From our humble beginning as a cane workshop, the Society has evolved into a
dynamic organisation with its focus today on improving the lives blind children
and adults through skills training and the promotion of independence.

We are indeed grateful for the relationships that we have formed with Council's
member organisations, individuals, businesses and Governmental departments over
the past 90 years. All have contributed to the numerous human success stories
as well as the longevity of the KZN Society for the Blind.

It is a privilege to be the current custodian of an organisation with such a
wonderful history of service to visually impaired persons in our Province.

As we embrace the future we look to build on the wonderful legacy of those gone
before.

I have no doubt that our founder, John Edward Palmer, would be proud that his
vision has been realised.

Back to contents

What's Happening?

International White Cane Safety Day

International White Cane Safety Day has been held since 15 October 1964 to
celebrate the achievements of visually impaired persons and to celebrate the
white cane as a symbol of blindness and a tool of independence. At Council we
celebrate the day with a Fun Walk - this year's 4.5km Fun Walk was held on 9
October, in order to tie-in with World Sight Day, which falls on 8 October.

Around 33 participants took part in this year's walk. Excited participants
comprising Council staff and volunteers, members of Eco-Access and UNISA's
disability unit, as well as a very energetic guide-dog, met in front of
Council's premises to begin the walk at 10:30am. In the spirit of the occasion,
most of the participants walked with white canes and some sighted participants
even walked with blind folds.

The walk was closely monitored by the Tshwane Metro Police who have
enthusiastically supported the event in recent years. Most participants
finished the walk at around 12:30 despite the warm October sun and various
obstacles along the way in the form of roadworks! Some participants even got a
second wind towards the end and sprinted toward the finish line!

The event was a success as it created much awareness of visually impaired road
users within the community.

Back to contents

Casual Day

Casual Day is a national awareness day for persons with disabilities. On the
first Friday of September every year, South Africans are urged to dress up (or
dress down) and to buy a sticker to show their support for persons with
disabilities. Each year, Casual Day runs a different theme - this year it was
'Join the Team.' Themes in previous years have been 'Superheroes', 'Be a Star'
and 'Wake up!'

The income generated from the sale of the stickers is distributed to the
beneficiaries of the project:

  a.. The National Council for Persons with Physical Disabilities in South
Africa
  b.. South African National Council for the Blind (Council)
  c.. Epilepsy South Africa
  d.. SA Federation for Mental Health
  e.. DeafSA
  f.. Disabled People South Africa

Council utilizes the monies received from Casual Day in subsidising assistive
devices such as braille paper, mobility canes and Perkins Braillers, for
persons with visual impairments. Casual Day was first celebrated in 1985, when
R413 000 was raised. The project has grown, and in 2008 over 3% of the South
African population supported the project.  Although figures for this year are
still outstanding, last year, the blindness sector sold a total of 48 110
stickers! After so many years of not being acknowledged - persons with
disabilities are slowly being recognised as a vibrant sector of society. Thank
you South Africa!

Back to contents

Science and Technology

Gadget-savvy 2009
Bonga Mazibuko

Technology, technology, technology, you either love it - most likely because
you're on top of the game when it comes to gadgets - or you simply hate it -
because you're too damn tired of running around trying to play catch-up to the
many cool, not to mention useful, inventions out there. It's sad for those who
have thrown in the towel when it comes to developing a gadget-savvy attitude, I
mean think of all the inventions we've had over the past 80 years - how could
we not be grateful for the current innovations after what's come before?

One gadget that first comes to mind (and I must say, it cracks me up big time
when I think about it) is the old voice recorder / cassette player. Man, I
suppose those things were useful back then - but the down side about them was
the tapes. Finding what you have recorded on those things was just something
else. I'm sure you may remember a moment where you used the pen / pencil method
to rewind / fast-forward, only to discover that you were swinging the thing the
wrong way around and that half of the tape material was on the floor. Man, you
see with those things you just had to be multi-skilled because getting the
material back to the tape required some serious skill! Worst of all - if the
tape snapped. These days you get digital voice recorders. Some are smaller than
the size of a business card, and yet can store ten times the amount of data
than the old-school tapes could. Finding what has been recorded on these
digital recorders has been made so easy that a gentle touch of a button is all
it takes. That's definitely what I'd call visually impaired friendly!

Another gadget that I've recently seen is the old Pyke-Glauser Brailler Writer.
A very good idea, but man, the cranking back cell by cell at the end of every
line must have been too much effort to make it worthwhile. Think about it, if a
document took you an hour to finish, most of your time would have been spent,
not on the art of writing, but rather on cranking the thing back so that you
can start on a new line. Thank goodness for the new Perkins Brailler. It has
made things so much easier. No more cranking back cell by cell - one gentle
push takes you to the start. The new Perkins Brailler called 'The next
generation' is even more amazing as it takes less force and it has less weight,
noise and packs a braille eraser.

Talking about weight, I just have to mention the old Braille pocket watch.
Phela, back in the days there must have been less crime involving visually
impaired people and I'll tell you why - can you imagine trying to mug a
visually impaired person with one of those watches? The VIP would just whip out
his pocket watch, snap the cover open so the big hard dots are exposed and
start swinging the thing using the chain! I'm telling you, those old watches
look and feel as if they were made for exactly that. Self defense. It's a good
thing these days we have beautifully light designed braille / talking watches,
most of which come with an alarm. Now VIP's can actually feel proud whipping
out their new watches in public without seeming dangerous, you know?

Back to contents

Arts and Culture

DAC in support of the South African National Council for the Blind
Andre Roos

The vision of the Department of Arts and Culture (DAC) is to develop and
preserve South African culture in order to ensure social cohesion and
nation-building.

DAC's mission is to develop our nation's information resources in order to
empower all citizens by providing full and open information access,
furthermore, DAC aims at improving economic and other development opportunities
through mutually beneficial partnerships in the arts and culture sector. Two
Directorates within the Department, namely the Directorate: Library Policy and
Coordination, and the Directorate: Multilaterals and Resourcing, support the
above mission.

The Directorate: Library Policy and Coordination has provided the South African
National Council for the Blind (Council) with financial support for many years
in order to assist with Council's endeavour of improving visually impaired
citizens' access to information. This fits the Directorate's broad remit of
enhancing access to published information for the whole nation by various
means.

The Department, in collaboration with Council, hosted a workshop in June 2008
on braille production in South Africa. The resultant Braille Production Task
Team from Council is currently finalising the Terms of Reference
(specifications) for a DAC-sponsored investigation into the challenges of
braille production in our country. The Directorate is proud to be involved in
this pioneering investigation, which involves all stakeholders, including the
South African Library for the Blind and Blind SA.

The Directorate was also a major sponsor of Council's 39th Biennial Conference,
which enhanced access to information at a macro level by enabling visually
impaired men and women from all over South Africa to have their voices heard in
the 'Blind Parliament.'

Moreover, South Africa and the European Union (EU) established relations
through the SA-EU Strategic Partnership on 14 May 2007. This relationship has
expanded significantly, both in terms of a scope the quality of interaction.
The Strategic Partnership builds on our common values and interests of moving
from political dialogue and cooperation to actively developing stronger and
sustainable cooperation in economic and other areas.

The Chief Directorate International Relations enabled the Resourcing Unit to
secure Official Development Assistance (ODA) funds which were made available to
all Governments Departments in South Africa by the EU. Some of the funds which
we secured were used to resource the 39th Biennial Conference hosted by
Council. A large part of the Conference was focused on the topic of braille,
which DAC has been mandated to promote and develop within the country.

DAC is very appreciative of the resources provided by the EU through the ODA,
managed by our National Treasury's ODA Programme, which has helped us to
address all the developmental priorities of the South African Government that
have not been funded through voted funds. Through the ODA funding, DAC and the
EU have managed to assist one of our more vulnerable stakeholders in order to
ensure a broader representation of under-serviced communities.

Back to contents

Taxi hand signs for blind commuters
Phillip Maibi

More than half of South Africa's population depend on taxi transport to get to
where they need to go. But in order to use this form of transport, the
passenger would need to know a system of hand signs used to flag down a taxi
travelling in the direction of their desired destination.

In 2006, while travelling on Louis Botha Avenue, fine artist, Susan Woolf,
observed people at the side of the road using different hand signs to signal to
the taxis driving past, and this made her inquisitive.

Susan's first interaction with blind people was in 1996 when she accompanied a
blind gentleman, by the name of Wellington Pike, to the Atlanta Art Olympiad
where Wellington was to explain sculptures to tourists. Wellington made Susan
aware of blind people and the difficulties they experience commuting everyday -
and she decided to do something about it.

Susan started the taxi hand sign project firstly by interacting with the taxi
industry. After capturing some hand signs she approached Blind SA to find out
if these signs could be created in a tactile format.

The taxi hand signs had not been documented in any way and as a social
interventionist, Susan deemed it fit to document these on her own, all the
while keeping blind commuters in mind. Susan's documenting process forms part
of her cross-disciplinary doctoral thesis, which she is completing at the
University of the Witwatersrand. Susan is an enthusiastic person; she saw an
opportunity to make a difference where many did not see one.

The launch of her Taxi Hand Signs Book for the Blind took place on September 30
at Museum Africa and was attended by various people from the blindness sector
including representatives from S.A National Council for the Blind. The launch
was made possible through the support of Natalie Knight who is the curator of
the l'Afrique exhibition (Leopold Spiegel's legacy project known as the Maria
Stein-Lessing foundation).This book will come in handy for blind people who
commute in Johannesburg everyday and also for those people who would like to
have better insight into taxi transportation within our communities.

As a blind person myself, I would like to close with a word to Susan Woolf and
to those who supported her: "Thank you for thinking about the members of our
community who are more often than not on the periphery of developments."

The Taxi Hand Signs book for the Blind is available at Council's Resource
Centre - the book will be free of charge for visually impaired people, but will
cost R90.00 for sighted individuals wishing to purchase this collector's item -
while stock lasts.

Back to contents

Development and change: Council's logo
Lilla Fourie

In the early 1950s the South African National Council for the Blind was a
rapidly growing organisation. Promoting the organisation's work, fund-raising
and raising public awareness of blindness thus became increasingly important.

Council's Silver Jubilee in 1954 provided an ideal opportunity. Jubilee stamps
were sold featuring the artwork of J B Watts, entitled Hope - the original was
exhibited in London's Tate Gallery. The same picture appeared on posters
advertising the stamps, as well on the cover of the special edition of the
twelfth Biennial Report 1952 - 1954. Public reaction to the very successful
stamp project (5 million stamps were printed with this image) was overwhelming
and negotiations with the Tate Gallery for rights to use Hope as the official
emblem, was initiated.

Picture Caption: Hope shows a blind-folded woman sitting on top of the globe
playing on a one-stringed harp.

However, this idea was abandoned in favour of an original South African design
- which still had to be found. Thus in 1956 a memorandum was sent to all
principals of art schools, technical colleges and universities, inviting
'competitive designs for a suitable crest or emblem, depicting the work of the
Council which includes Rehabilitation, Education, Employment and Prevention of
Blindness.'  A prize of £20 was at stake.

The winning design adopted by the Executive Committee in November 1957 as the
official emblem of the South African National Council for the Blind, was that
of Mavis Knight of the Witwatersrand Technical College. She was awarded the
prize money of £20 and promptly donated £10 to Council and £10 to her college's
Art Students' Scholarship Fund.

Picture Caption: The logo's shape is circular with a hand holding a flaming
torch in the middle. A circle of chains, broken where the flame touches it,
surrounds the hand and torch. A circular band encloses the design and holds the
lettering 'SA Nasionale Raad vir Blindes' on top and 'SA National Council for
the Blind' at the bottom.

The design was presented in black, grey and white and yellow was suggested by
the artist as the colour for the torch's flame. It was first seen on an
official publication when it was printed in black with an orange flame on the
cover of the Biennial Report of 1959-1960. A blue only version appeared in 1961
on the first edition of Imfama (the renamed and commercially printed new
version of Council's Newsletter). The official logo colours later evolved to
orange, dark blue and white.

Between 1997 and 2001, Project Renewal, Council's transformation process,
required the organisation to re-evaluate its services and programmes - and to
take a look at changing its image. A new modernised logo was called for to
reflect the organisation's progress in mission and services. Various designs
were considered and at the Biennial Conference held in October 2001, the new
logo, designed by Council's in-house designer Lilla Fourie, was accepted and
approved by the National Management Committee.

Picture Caption: The logo's shape is oblong, suggesting a braille slate. The
letters 'sancb' in lower case are repeated at the bottom in braille with 'S A
National Council for the Blind' in regular print underneath. The Afrikaans
version reads 'sanrb' and 'S A Nasionale Raad vir Blindes.'

The new logo depicted a stylized braille slate and emphasised the use of
braille as an effective means of communication by blind people, symbolic of
independence gained through training, literacy and education.

The new colours were an ethnic combination of gold and blue suggestive of
sun-baked Africa, golden opportunities and life lived to the full.

A new phase of change and revised objectives awaited Council in 2005 and with
it the need for a changed image.

Students of the Vega School of Communication in Johannesburg were commissioned
to design a logo encompassing innovation and progress. They came up with a
design in black and white where the six braille dots were formed into the shape
of an arrow, with lettering placed underneath.

Picture Caption: On the left of the logo, Council's name is divided up into
justified sections for visual effect - 'Blind' in bolded orange is the largest
word at the bottom, on top of that, unbolded, in black, 'Council for the', on
top of those words in bolded black is 'National' and right on top, unbolded, in
black, are the words 'South African' - together all the words form a neat block
shape on the left of the logo. The six braille dots on the right are placed
directly against the name and form an arrow shape pointing right - this
formation depicts movement rather than any particular letter or combination of
letters.

The idea of the arrow-shaped dots was accepted, and was used for the in-house
development of the final design of the raised orange dots with black lettering
on the left.

An opinion poll on the colour of the logo was held amongst Council staff and
orange proved to be the most popular by far. The logo was finalised and
national branding was rolled out in 2006.

Back to contents

Ian Hutton Column

Tarzan, BINGO and Council for the Blind.

The year is 1929. The nation waits with bated breath for word from Cape Town.
The moment arrives and yes! A wild whoop of joy erupts throughout the land as
the birth of the South African National Council for the Blind is proclaimed!
The news catapults across the globe, at which, the world's stock markets
collapse and this then triggers the Great Depression.

But we'd be silly to assume that these were the only significant events of that
year.  I mean, Tarzan and Popeye burst onto the seen, the yoyo was launched and
the game of BINGO invented. America's very first nudist association was founded
as well. It called itself the League of Physical Culture and was, I'm sure, a
healthy diversion from the Great Depression.

The Seeing Eye organisation also emerged in 1929. This was not, as you might
think, an alliance of peeping toms created in response to the nudist
initiative. Seeing Eye was, in reality, the first U.S. guide-dog association.
Which leads me on from where I began...

So, a full 80 years has scurried by since that handful of now hazy figures
gathered together in some smoky room to cobble together a thing called the
National Council for the Blind. Since then, we've seen yet another world war,
the rise of Rock 'n Roll and Anatjie Kriel's victory in the All-Transvaal
Crocheting Championship. There was one event however, that occurred in 1951
when the National Council was a mere stripling of 22 and which I regard as
particularly important. That event was me bursting onto the scene.

I got a smart smack on the bottom, let out a yell and took my first wild look
at the light of day. Not for long though. I made it to the age of eight and
then, my teachers, bless them, picked up that there might be something wrong
with my eyes. For once, my teachers were right. The doctors said there was
nothing to be done and that I'd gradually lose my vision. The herbalists,
homeopaths and spiritual healers seemed to think otherwise. But for once, they
were wrong.

I then spent the next 25 years or so living a bit like a hamster at midday, in
that twilight zone called partial-sight, until the curtain came down on my eyes
and without any encore. I didn't mind though. I was too busy playing the guitar
in a traveling musical show, fumbling my way through university and fending off
the girls. Through all this, I was only dimly aware of the South African
National Council for the Blind. That would change though. But this is not about
me, one of the lucky ones. It's about the tens-of-thousands of blind and
partially-sighted South Africans who are jobless, helpless and hopeless and who
also have terribly funny things happen to them all the time, if only they could
see it.

The scene is a city intersection. A partially-sighted A-Type personality
stands, trying to make out the names on the buildings on each corner, looking
for the one he wants. It's no good. He can't do it. So he goes into a Pharmacy
that's right there to ask for help. It's a busy place and quite noisy too. He
spots a white-coated figure, goes over, explains his situation and asks for the
information he's after. No response. He thinks that, because of the general
hubbub, that the pharmacist hasn't heard him. So, he raises his voice and asks
again. A sudden silence descends. And, horror of horrors, it hits him! He's
been talking to a cardboard-cutout chemist! And it's offering him a tray of
multicolored condoms! All I can say is, it wasn't me. I swear.

So, in the end, it's all about people, their predicaments, their plight and
their potential. It is, after all, people who start organisations for and of
the blind which in turn make up the membership of the National Council. It is
people who work for that umbrella body who provide services such as Optima
College and the Bureau for the Prevention of Blindness and who also, by the
way, give people like me a chance to have some fun in the form of this column.

Back to contents

South African National Council for the Blind

Correspondence:
The Editor, PO Box 11149, Hatfield,

Pretoria 0028

Tel:    012 452-3811

Fax:    012 346-4699

Web: www.sancb.org.za

Editor: Dr. William Rowland

Assistant Editor: Stacey Love

Design and layout: Bonga Mazibuko

Available formats:
To receive Imfama in braille, print or electronic format:

Contact Stacey Love, stating preferred format:

E-mail: stacey@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Tel: 012 452-3811

To receive Imfama on tape, please first register as a member of Tape Aids for
the Blind:

Tel: 031 309-4800

E-mail: for membership at Tape Aids and registration on Imfama tape mailing
list: director@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

To receive Imfama in DAISY format, please first register as a member of the SA
Library for the Blind:

Tel: 046 622-7226

E-mail: Helen Samuels for SALB membership: audiolib@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; and Karen
Marechal to be added to Imfama list: karen.marechal@xxxxxxxxxxx

Council's Officers:
Honorary President:

Dr. William Rowland

Honorary Vice-President:

Hazel Marshall

Chairperson:

Adv. Lucky Bokaba

Deputy Chairperson:

Dr. Praveena Sukhraj-Ely

Treasurer:

Philip Bam

National Executive Director:

Jace Nair

Provided acknowledgement is given, the contents of Imfama may be freely
utilised and reproduced.

ISSN 0019 2724

Imfama is produced by the Access division of the South African National Council
for the Blind. Please send your comments and suggestions to
stacey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx You have received this newsletter because we thought that
you might find it interesting or because someone else has forwarded it to you.

If you would like to subscribe to Imfama, please e-mail us at
stacey@xxxxxxxxxxxx with the words Imfama: subscribe in the subject field or
body of the message. If you do not wish to receive future editions of Imfama,
send an e-mail to the same address and add the words Imfama: unsubscribe.

Back to contents