[blindwoodworker] Re: Mitutoyo voiceman talking caliper

  • From: "JDM" <sunnyday001@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindwoodworker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 14:10:22 +1100

Hi John,

It's interesting news that Mitutoyo are no longer making the voiceman speech
output for their various instruments.  The largest market for audible speech
output was the photographic film manufacture and processing industry. Audible
speech output was essential in industrial environments where the presence of
any light would contaminate and spoil light sensitive chemicals. but, with the
advent of digital photography, the vast majority of photographic film
manufacturers have  now become redundant and the manufacturing Plants are now
shut down.
The idea of connecting a cable to the serial port on a Calliper or micrometer,
and then, via a USB connector to a computer is not appealing. Having a desktop
or laptop in the workshop to vocalise measurement readouts sounds extremely
physically cumbersome to me. also, if the cable connection is outputting an
ascii or text file, then at each measurement, the  output can only be read by
opening that new file from the computer, hence the readout is not
instantaneous. so, the lack of instant feedback would make for great difficulty
in the fine tuning adjustment of, say,  a machine part.

Recently however, I was told that mitutoyo now have a Blue tooth device which
plugs straight into the serial port on its callipers and micrometers. The radio
signal from the Blue Tooth device can then be detected by smart cell phones,
thus  the measurement readout is instantly announced by the cell phone,
provided, of course,  that your smart cell phone has audible speech output. If,
what I've been told, is true, then this solution is far better than having a
clumsy cable connected to your calliper, as suddenly it is all wireless and the
measurements are announced from your shirt pocket.

Over the next few days, I'll check out with Mitutoyo Australia, if this Blue
tooth device is truly available. I, for one, would be glad to rid myself of the
serial cable and voiceman speech output box.

Best regards,

John Milburn

Victoria, Australia.