[blindweightwatcher] Make 2009 a new year of smart living

  • From: "Jan Bailey" <jb021951@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindweightwatcher@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 17:32:45 -0600

Make 2009 a new year of smart living

Published Wed, Jan 7, 2009 12:00 AM
By ERVENA FAULKNER

The wishing season is over, and now we must enjoy the happiness of
the new year. Wouldn't it be just great if each of us would carry
over the smiles and well wishes throughout the year?

Even with the seriousness of living, passing love and joy is
possible. I guess it is just a means of burning a candle for a glow.
So, as I begin the new year, I reflect on 2008. It was a busy year.

HEALTH

Taking care of yourself requires much attention. I try to do the nine
daily fruits and vegetables, but here it is early in the morning, and
I have not done the first one.

Much is being written about the effects of bananas and lemons. When I
read lemons have anti-aging properties, I chose to do the lemons
daily. In my opinion, the anti-aging comes before potassium in
bananas.

The first item that is good for the body is water. I never thought I
would see the day when I would purchase water to drink, make sure
there is filtered water in the house and learn to flavor it for a
good taste.

Never forget the importance of fiber in the diet. Eating a variety of
items allows people to enjoy the pleasures of food. To improve eating
habits, people must eat slower, prepare smaller amounts and avoid
seconds.

Good health is priceless, but no matter what, there is wear and tear
on the body. Age is more than a number. It is a state of being.

WEALTH

Is it the money, or is it the health that gives the wealth? Can you
remember, "Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy
and wise"? When a group of silver-haired friends gather and share,
you can bet on a discussion of how their wealth is used to ensure
good health.

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." It is this
generation who value health and use their funds wisely. If you are
with them while shopping, you hear them ask for senior discounts, see
them using store coupons and ask about bargains. A penny saved is a
penny earned with them.

EXERCISE

The longer you move, the more it becomes a habit. Young people
consider jumping rope a mere task. Those were the days, and now
people move as much as they can, aided or unaided. Now, I just want
to jump and see how high I can go.

The most important thing is to move. There is a park center in
Columbia where older Americans do chair exercises for one hour. I
would rather walk around the block than do that work out, as it is
intensive.

There is a need for as much mental exercise as physical. Add reading,
puzzles or electronic toys to your life for a challenge.

SOMETHING NEW

Many times, I've said there were dishes that I did not enjoy. I
decided to try them and found I could enjoy them.

I might not prepare them often, but I could develop a taste for them.

There are friends with whom I share recipes, and then there are
friends who like the challenge as I do -- that of investigating the
recipe and trying to figure out what makes it "all that."

Then there are times we take the simple and dress it up to become
something quite elegant.

I still am trying to pass on the love of ratatouille to friends.

Presently, the count of lovers of the dish are one grandchild and one niece.

LAUGH

I cannot remember jokes, let alone tell them so others can enjoy.
When I receive the really funny ones, I instantly forward them.
Everyone needs to laugh daily. It is just as important as the
medications people take for health care.

If you forget steps to make a dish and get angry with yourself, later
in the day, just laugh at what happened and realize that even the
smartest of people mess up once in awhile.

REMEMBER TO FORGET

Many hours in one's life are spent trying to remember what has been
misplaced. That is why some people have more than one pair of
eyeglasses, an extra set of keys, a second copy of a recipe and a
loved one to blame for the lost article, as well as a loved one to
help find it. How many times in your household have you asked or been
asked, "Where is my paper? I know I left it right here."

The bad thing about losing stuff is that at the time you need it, you
don't have it. The good thing is it was never lost, just out of sight
for awhile.

Learn to enjoy your kitchen as you enjoy good food. Make 2009 a year
of enjoying the old and learning about the new.