[blindweightwatcher] Low Fat Tamale Pie

  • From: "Jan Bailey" <jb021951@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindweightwatcher@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 07:09:04 -0600

Low Fat Tamale Pie

Fiona Haynes

This delicious tamale pie pie is a family favorite. A corn-topped pie is great
for my husband who can't eat anything with gluten.* It doesn't really need
anything to accompany it, although we sometimes have some sweet corn on the the
side.

Cook Time: 45 minutes
Ingredients:
list of 14 items
. 2 tsp canola oil
. 1 medium onion
. 1 large green pepper
. 1 pound extra-lean ground beef
. 1 tbsp chili powder
. 1 16-ounce can corn
. 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
. 1 4-ounce can jalapenos
. 1 4-ounce can sliced olives
. .
. 1 1/2 cups cornmeal
. 1 tsp salt
. 1 quart fat-free milk
. 1/2 cup reduced fat shredded cheese
list end

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Sauté onion, and pepper in a large skillet over medium heat, crumble beef and
cook until no longer pink. Add chili powder, corn, tomatoes, jalapenos and
olives. Simmer for 20 minutes. Transfer to an 11 by 7 baking dish.

Meanwhile, combine cornmeal, salt and milk in a 2 quart saucepan. Heat on
medium and until thickened, stirring almost continuously. Spread cornmeal over
top of meat and vegetables. Sprinkle with cheese. Place in oven and bake for
20-25 minutes, until top is golden.

Serves 8

Per Serving: Calories 369, Calories from Fat 75, Total Fat 8.3g (sat 2.9g),
Cholesterol 42mg, Sodium 664mg, Carbohydrate 49.5g, Fiber 6.8g, Protein 23.9g

* Always check labels on all listed ingredients to ensure the brands you use
are gluten free, if this an issue.