[blindweightwatcher] 4 ways to get more feggies in your diet

  • From: "Jan Bailey" <jb021951@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindweightwatcher@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 05:13:27 -0500

Tip of the Day:

Whether you adore them or abhor them, it can be hard getting five veggies a day
into your daily meal plan. What trips us up? It's simple, really. Most often,
we just don't have them in our fridge, let alone on our dinner plates. Here are
four ways to ensure that veggies will always have a starring role in your
kitchen - and diet!

list of 4 items
1. Grow your own. If you've got a plot of land or even a sunny place for a few
containers, you can start your own garden. Never gardened before? Start off
small with some herbs and lettuce and expand from there. If outdoor space is an
issue, join a community garden in your area. Not sure what to plant? Check
out seed companies like Burpee.com or Gurneys.com for ideas and information
about when and what to plant in your area.
2. Chop it ahead of time. Cooking a big dinner on Sunday? Use your time
creating an already labor-intensive meal to prep for the week ahead. Dice up
several
extra onions, bell peppers, celery, and carrots, and store them in resealable
bags or containers until you need them. You'll be less tempted to order out
when a home-cooked meal is just minutes away!
3. Buy them precut. While precut veggies might cost you a dollar or two more,
they save time and money in the long run - especially if veggies tend to go
to waste at your house. Look for broccoli florets, shredded carrots, peeled
garlic, and precut bell peppers in your local market.
4. Make veggies the star. Of your fridge, that is. Although the crisper drawer
was designed to preserve a vegetable's shelf life, often it can be a death
sentence for your favorite fruits and veggies. Avoid having to throw them away
by putting your vegetables front and center in the fridge. You'll be more
likely to reach for a carrot when you need a snack or use up the last of the
green beans for dinner tonight if they're right in front of your face.