[blindreplay] Enhancing Podcast Functionality

  • From: Kelly Pierce <kellytalk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindreplay <blindreplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 11:28:59 -0500

I have used iPodder and later Juice as my podcast receiver since the
dawn of the podcast era.  While I appreciate what Adam and Andrew have
done, I don’t like the large amount of system resources Juice uses so
I have the hassle of selectively launching it to download new episodes
and closing it once it is finished.

Replay A/V is more efficient and remains running in the background on
my system.  I examined the support for podcasts and found it rather
disappointing.  It seems that Bill and the other Replay developers may
not fully appreciate the needs of the podcast user.  Has anyone made
the following suggestions to Applion?

1.      Create the ability to select or create another folder for RSS
feeds.  I have a directory for the files I record using Replay A/V.  I
would like podcasts to go to another directory rather than being mixed
in with the recorded files.

2.      Support the import and export of .OPML files.  RSS feeds can be
managed as a group and this group can be saved for back up purposes or
for moving from one program to another.  Without .OPML support, Replay
requires each show to be added individually, a big time drain.  Also,
by not offering .OPML export support Applion handcuffs podcast users
to Replay to eternity or face another big time drain to configure a
different program.

With just a little enhancement, replay could be as useful as Juice for
me and many others and offer a compelling reason to upgrade in the
next cycle.

Kelly