University of the West Indies (UWI) holds workshop for disabled students

  • To: <BlindNews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 22:31:35 -0400

Jamaica Gleaner
Thursday, October 18, 2007

University of the West Indies (UWI) holds workshop for disabled students

By Daraine Luton, Staff Reporter

CAption: Joseph Pereira, deputy principal at the University of the West Indies,
is scheduled to address the workshop. - contributed

MATHEMATICS CONSULTANT Susan Osterhaus has arrived in Jamaica to help in the
education of blind and visually impaired persons.

Ms. Osterhaus will spend the next two days presenting to an inclusive education
workshop, 'Meeting the Challenges Facing Persons with Disabilities,' which will
be held at the University of the West Indies (UWI), Mona Lions Resource Centre
for students with Special Needs at the Mona campus.

The workshop starts today and, according to chair of the committee for students
with disabilities at UWI, Peter O'Sullivan, it aims, among other things, to
"sensitise persons in decision making positions, both at the tertiary level and
the secondary level, as to the special needs of students in the educational
system."

According to Mr. O'Sullivan, blind and visually impaired students have a
problem with mathematics and the hearing impaired have problems with English.

"If they are going to be able to contribute meaningfully to our society, (we)
must put in place proper programmes and policies to help in their educational
pursuits," Mr. O'Sullivan told The Gleaner.

Here to help

Meanwhile, Ms. Osterhaus, who has been teaching mathematics at the Texas School
for the Blind and Visually Impaired in Austin, Texas, for 30 years, said she
was excited about the workshop.

"This is something I enjoy doing. I am here to help in whatever way I can and I
plan to learn something too," she told The Gleaner.

Ms. Osterhaus holds a bachelor's degree in mathematics, a master's degree in
mathematics education, and certifications in secondary math, English, and
teaching the visually impaired from the University of Texas at Austin.

Also down to address the workshop are Lola Marson, president of the Caribbean
Council for the Blind; Joseph Pereira, deputy principal at UWI Mona and Hixwell
Douglas, education officer in the Ministry of Education.

daraine.luton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20071018/news/news2.html
BlindNews Mailing List
Subscribe: BlindNews-Request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with "subscribe" as subject

Moderator: BlindNews-Moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Archive: http://GeoffAndWen.com/blind

RSS: http://GeoffAndWen.com/BlindNewsRSS.asp

More information about RSS feeds will be published shortly.